Anybody Watching the Mine Rescue in Chile?

Watched until early this morning. Truly amazing what can be accomplished when people set aside their differences and come together as one.

14th just broke ground.

Last edited:
America Helped Some Also

Saw this on the web - Not sure if true, but

Looks like a few Americans helped out some.

I bet most of these guys are right back to mining in short order. They are miners. A little ride in a tight tube I bet does not bother them.

Special thanks to these companies -

Schramm Inc. of West Chester, Pennsylvania built the drills and equipment used to reach the trapped miners.

Center Rock Company, also from Pennsylvania, built the drill bits used to reach the miners.

UPS, the US shipping company, delivered the 13-ton drilling equipment from Pennsylvania to Chile in less than 48 hours.

Crews from Layne Christensen Company of Wichita Kansas and its subsidiary Geotec Boyles Bros. worked the drills and machinery to locate and reach the miners and then enlarge the holes to ultimately rescue them.

Jeff Hart of Denver Colorado was called off his job drilling water wells for the U.S. Army's forward operating bases in Afghanistan to lead the drilling crew that reached the miners.

Atlas Copco Construction Mining Company of Milwaukee, Wisconsin provided consulting on how to make drilling equipment from different sources work together under differing pressure specifications.

Aries Central California Video of Fresno California designed the special cameras that were lowered nearly a mile into the ground sending back video of the miners.

Zephyr Technologies of Annapolis Maryland, made the remote monitors of vital signs that miners will wear during their ascent.

NASA Engineers designed the "Phoenix" capsule that miners would be brought to the surface in, and provided medical consulting, special diets and spandex suits to maintain miners' blood pressure as they're brought back to the surface.

Wonder how the last guy will close the door on the capsule?

That'll probably be one of the rescue workers I guess, but boy that's going to be a long wait from the time they send the second to last up and till he gets out...

NASA designed it. Hopefully they remembered to put a latch inside?

I think there are a mine safety guy and a paramedic that are down there. Takes some nerve to go down on purpose.

Last edited:
Thirty down, three to go :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Plus five rescuers. Or at least five is the BBC's best guess. (Number 31 just came up.)

I wonder if they get to keep those cool sun glasses...:D and just think of the overtime the company owes em.

The sunglasses were donated by Oakley, so they get to keep them.

The mining company went bankrupt after the mine collapsed. Some of the miners (I think it's something like 10) are suing the government for back pay and damages. A few minutes ago the Chilean president pretty much admitted on TV the government was responsible for the lack of safety measures in the mine, so I suspect they will all be compensated by the government.

News flash, I was able to get a picture of the NASA designed door latch that cost $10,000.

Here it is

attachment.php

Attachments

• hanger.jpg
    hanger.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 59