Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: getting a steering wheel off

getting a steering wheel off

I need to replace the steering wheel on my JD garden tractor. The technical manual says to remove a threaded pin. That was a chore but I got it out and cleaned up the buggered threads.

I tried a gear puller but no joy. I have some WD-40 soaking in it. Only thing I had on hand, I also introduced it to my dead plow hammer. Will both hands! Stuck.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Carol Reed; 10-13-2010 at 01:34 PM.

getting a steering off

Hi Carole.

Which JD tractor is yours again? I have a couple good steering wheels, and even good steering assemblies. If you tell me what you have, and some good pix of it, and the tractor, I may be able to help.

Let me know.

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Hi Tony,

I have the 180 from the middle eighties. I have the new steering wheel, but the old one is stuck. The tech manual simply says pull it off.

Right.

Try taking a propane torch to the metal part, get it nice and hot and then let it cool down. The expansion and contraction of the metal might break it loose.

Cheers,
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

Did you know the "WD" in WD-40 stands for "Water Dispersant" ?

Well it does, WD-40 is NOT a penetrating oil, that is what you need.

Get some Kana Labs penatrating oil called >> Kroil <<

That is what you need

well that and a bigger hammer
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Carol, I would stay away from the heat idea at the moment, there is a lot of plastic and somewhere grease with a bearing that just might create a big mess/fire. You say you have a gear/steering wheel puller. Put that back on, put some decent pressure on it, then hit the end of the gear puller's bolt with a ball peen/small hand sledge hammer. Don't use the dead blow because it won't send the needed shock wave down the bolt to "snap" the wheel loose. When using a steering wheel puller, many times what happens is the steering wheel is of light enough gauge metal that it actual bends into a slight U shape (might not be visible to the naked eye)((that doesn't mean your eye needs to go inside and get dressed!)) okay sorry, back to our discussion. By the metal bending into this U shape, hitting the top of the bolt on the gear puller, it sends a shock wave down the bolt to the item being bent and will cause it to snap up/loose so it is straight. Thus you tighten the bolt on the gear puller more and repeat until loose. Sometimes once it "snaps" it is loose. This is a fine line, not enough pressure, when you hit the bolt the gear puller wants to fall off. To tight and it has created a U that can't come loose. Hope this helps and you are successful. Oh, you can put pressure on it and then with some type of pentrating/lubricating oil, spray and wait, tighten, spray, hit with hammer, etc. Don't forget the safety glasses now that you have introduced WD-40 and eventually other lubricants.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Get some Kana Labs penatrating oil called >> Kroil <<
    I second that.

Can't find Kroil locally and had good results with PBB Blaster. Label looks like it came straight of a 2 AM TV infomercial but it works good.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

A lot of times tapping the part down then back up will loosen it also. But I have to agree with the others , you need a bigger hammer
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Hopefully Rex Bloem will chime in....He works on these for a living! I'd pm him Carol.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    Can't find Kroil locally and had good results with PBB Blaster. Label looks like it came straight of a 2 AM TV infomercial but it works good.
    +1 on PBBlaster. Easy to find at Home Depot