Thread: Laguna tools?

Laguna tools?

Laguna make a widget I want. Do they function through dealers, or is it all ordered straight from them? The distributor page doesn't have anything for the US is why I ask.

Furthermore, does anyone have any experience with their tools. Or more to the point is it made well enough to have any kind of life span when its used continuously?
    "Do, or do not. There is no try."
    -Yoda

I just received an email with some specials. I don't remember what they were and I deleted the message. So it would seem to me that they do sell to the general public.
    I have not used their tools but I've never heard anything bad about them.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Do some searching. There have been negative reports. Also, reportedly, some of 'their' tools are similar to Jet/Grizzly/etc. with different paint.
    I do know their in-house sales staff is very aggressive.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

No personal experience, but I've read enough complaints about their poor customer service and after-sale support that I wouldn't buy a t-shirt from them, let alone any of their machines. There have been some real horror stories told about their 18/47 wood lathe. Not only has the machine had problems reported by a lot of owners, but very few of those problems were handled or corrected by Laguna. I know there are a number of happy Laguna owners...they make good machines for the most part, but their service and support leaves a lot to be desired.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I have an LT-16 bandsaw, and have had no problems with it over the eight years I've owned it. I picked it up at Laguna's shop/warehouse in Newport Beach, back when I lived only a few miles away in Tustin. It's been a great saw, and I really like it a lot.

I really can't say anything for or against their Customer Service - mainly because I've never needed it. I guess that says a lot in itself...

I have ordered a couple accessories and blades from them since moving here to Ohio, and the service on those was satisfactory - prompt shipping and adequate packaging. Not much more to be expected there, is there?

As for their products being Grizzley knock-offs (per Frank) - not unless Grizzley has started importing product from Italy, Bulgaria, or the Czech Republic. That's where Laguna gets nearly all their product. They do install Baldor motors in nearly everything they sell, though.

That's my Laguna experience. YMMV.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    ...As for their products being Grizzley knock-offs (per Frank) - not unless Grizzley has started importing product from Italy, Bulgaria, or the Czech Republic. That's where Laguna gets nearly all their product. They do install Baldor motors in nearly everything they sell, though.

That's my Laguna experience. YMMV.
    Their 18/47 lathe is Asian, and a dead ringer for the 18/47 lathe sold by several others (including Grizzly and Busy Bee). It has had many problems with the motor, controller, and iron casting QC issues.

In a number of cases, owners of that lathe have reported stalling or controller shutdown when turning at lower speeds. The solution (according to Laguna Tech Support) is to not turn at slower speeds. That's unacceptable in my book.

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Their 18/47 lathe is Asian, and a dead ringer for the 18/47 lathe sold by several others (including Grizzly and Busy Bee). ..
    Oh, sorry. I was talking about real woodworking tools - not those spinny things.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Oh, sorry. I was talking about real woodworking tools - not those spinny things.
    Ha! Well played, Mr. Straightedge.

workingwoods.com

Hmmm, I'm interested in their automatic dovetailer. I think it went down in price. I swear it was almost $14k last time I looked, and its listed for $10k now? It's either something along those lines, or a vertical panel saw. I'm not sure which will have the best return, the Striebig I'm looking at is $25,000 new though....
    "Do, or do not. There is no try."
    -Yoda