I looked at what I had written in response to Cynthia’s question about Dust Collection. First of all my first dumb response ignored the words quick, easy and inexpensive. OK that wasn’t too bad.
However, I explained how I had not connected DC to my belt sander. Looking at that in print made me realize how stupid I have been about that. I lived with it until reading my response to Cynthia’s thread. Therefore, I killed procrastination and actually built a box and installed a DC connection.
This is the area where the plumbing will go.
This shows the semi-finished product. I did not have enough parts so I stuck in a temporary 10 ft of four-inch flex.
I had already started construction. This is the first photo I took showing the “Dust Plenum” (or whatever you want to call it) sanding platform combination. There is an opening into the box at the end of the belt. The belt is almost always in the vertical position. The top is aluminum and has a miter gauge slot. Maple leaves (no I’m not Canadian) will extend both ways from the slot.
I fell and hurt my back over a month ago. I get in some strange positions to keep from reaching---thus the eighteen inch phillips screwdriver shown in the pic. I am putting on one end of the plenum.
Attachment 49993This pic shows the business end of the plenum with the pink foam gasket I made. As an aside: I started out with foam over four times this thickness. It seemed like really wimpy foam; at the original thickness using my fingers it compressed to nothing. Well it was way too thick. I band sawed it into one-half that thickness. It was still too thick. So I cut one of the halves in half and even that was a bit too much.
Here the outlet port has been added over the pink foam gasket.
Attachment 49995Meanwhile, outside, the 20 ft stick of six-inch PVC gets shortened. Notice the three-fourths dia. dowels. There is another pair on the other side. Their purpose is to keep the PVC corralled while Myrna rotates the pipe while I hang on to the hand jigsaw.
Attachment 49996You should have seen me getting that horizontal piece out there and then hanging on to it until I could get the support chain hooked around it. The adjustable height table was purchased used in 1914 by the doctor I went in with. It is a jewel of a thing to have in a WW shop.
Anyway I used it and the blocks of wood to hold up the last section, the two els, their coupler and the vertical drop. I adjusted the height of the wood stack and the height of the table to get my final measurement for the six-inch drop piece.
Attachment 49997This pic shows the relationship of the two sanders (12in disk and 4 x 36 belt). They are positioned so neither one is in the way of wood being used on the other. However, the dust exit ports for each machine are in the most awkward position for the DC ducting. There might be a better way to mount the machines. However, that is a ways down on my current priority list. If I reversed the two machines it would be a lot better for belt sander dust collection, and a tiny bit better for the disc dust collection.
Thanks Cynthia for making me be a good boy and hook DC to the belt sander.