Tamerisk-Smoketree-Mulberry?

Dan Mosley

I saw someone offering wood for free from clearing on their land and stated the wood is .......Tamarisk, Smoketrees, Mulberry......I have never turned any of these woods but i wrote to them to see if it was green or what size etc the wood is..............anybody know if these are any good for turning as far as color etc goes?

Thanks Dan

Can't speak to the Tamarisk, but didn't know that was U.S. origin wood... I've seen pieces turned from Smoketree, but never had the chance my self.... I had a small mulberry tree that I cut to clear off my property... the wood has a greenish yellow tint to it and mine has had a tendency to have some cracks.. that may have been improper drying process though... I have a peppermill in mulberry that looks fine...

Two pictures of my turnings from mulberry... the peppermill is finished in wipe on poly.... the bowl in mineral oil..

Attachments

• 34-818.JPG
    34-818.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 17
  • 10-1105_1a.JPG
    10-1105_1a.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 20
Mulberry is beautiful wood IMHO. Lots of grain pattern and beautiful color. It cracks easily but sometimes that just improves the character. Haven't turn any of the other.

Attachments

• Pen 61-2 Feb 2009s.jpg
    Pen 61-2 Feb 2009s.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 14
I did a pen from a Mulberry branch (12") that sold for a lot more than it should have...great colors, yellows, green, gray and white...easy to turn too!

Mulberry and smoketree turn fairly nicely. Mulberry you have to pay attention to drying it because it can get cracky on you. If it is free I would jump all over whatever I could get. Oh and mulberry can make a yellow mess when turning.:rofl: Don't ask me how I know. It will also brown slightly with age. Looks nice.

yep and thanks - im waiting on a response to the email I sent to them. Just like to know how these woods are because I think I am getting more picky about what I spend my time turning now adays............either way free is free and ill take it............and if anything else it will add to my firewood pile............thanks Dan

All three of thes are more shrub than tree, as a result they have "dwarf" wood cells and are tight (reason for Bernie's "Cracky" drying) I haven't turned the Smoke or Tamarick but they sound interesting.

I, at first, thought you might be talking about Tamarak which is akin to Spruce. and more common.

Aside from the Mulberry which is hated in these parts (especially if you drive a white truck) the others are ornimental trees.

Interested in seeing the Smoketree and Tamarick, be sure and post pictures.

Mulberry trees in KY are about 15 feet tall, who buys cars or trucks with a coat of white paint on them

Mulberry trees in KY are about 15 feet tall, who buys cars or trucks with a coat of white paint on them

It is the Birds. They love the berries, it gives them the "trots" (or should I say "flaps") I live across the way from a very large Mulberry tree, just about as far away as it takes to process the berries. :eek:

As for White, My Loverly truck came from Detroit, White. :thumb: It is the birds, filled with Mulberries, that are trying to turn it Red.

P1010765.jpg

Last edited:
I bought cars & trucks with every color of paint EXCEPT white because I did not want mulberry stains/ and POKE BERRY stains to be seen on the paint
I just noticed the dealer name plate on the pinto

Last edited by a moderator:
Mulberry trees get huge in my neck of the woods. But are certainly correct about the white truck.. or car.

Could the Tamarisk be tamarack(SP)? Tamarack has beautiful wood as I remember.

Last edited:
I bought cars & trucks with every color of paint EXCEPT white because I did not want mulberry stains/ and POKE BERRY stains to be seen on the paint
I just noticed the dealer name plate on the pinto

Was in Ft. Worth TX this past spring, when I came out of the motel next morning, that dealer's plate was the only way to determine which White Ford in the parking lot was mine... :thumb:

I known that feeling, I got a key holder and I can unlock the doors at a distance
unless I am trying to open someone else car doors/ can anyone start their car or truck and remove the keys without turning the engine off ?

AIRPORT FORD is a dealer in northern Kentucky/ the closest ford dealer to my home

I don't know about Riverside Ford in Newport, Grant co. had a ford dealer the last time that I were there--Mason co. got a good size dealer lot