It's time for a Shed Thread -Time to get the roof on

Well, decorative and functional, I reckon.:thumb:

The 4x4 brackets(corbels?) will hold the overhanging rafter. I'm sure there are ways to do it decorative only, but these guys will hold the 14" overhang pretty much on there own....

At least thats the way it is on the plans... The fly rafter is a 2x8, so should be plenty sturdy for a little shed like this...

And this thing is pretty much according to plan, so hoping I don't have to rip the whole thing down now... :rofl:

Well this is fun.

Just got done putting the roofing felt on today and now we have a big ole T-storm blowing through. Just got a wind gust reading of 47.2 mph.

Several sheets of metal roofing got picked up and blown around, but I managed to get it put back in place and pinned down with an old pallet and my box grader..

Here's hoping I didn't waste all my time and effort today putting the felt on.

I'm just hoping that I went suitably overboard on the staples to hold it down... :doh:

Yeah, That would have been a good call :rofl:

Only got a little cut on my knee from wind surfing the panels back in to place.

Luckily, no damage to the panels.

And even better the front has passed and nothing else seems to be headed our way from the Radar. No rain either, so that was good.

Best news is the felt all stayed put...

Tomorrow, the Roof will be put up! :thumb:

Ok now look at the fabrel sheet for the screw pattern. One on each side of the major rib at the bottom 8 screws. for the rest of the field you put 4 screws in each row on the trailing edge of the sheet. at the top you put 8 screws again.:thumb:

Now look at your sheets can you see how one rib comes down and flattens out? That's the leading rib. see how the other rib does not make it all the way down? That's the over lap rib. It goes on top of the leading rib. The leading rib comes down and flattens out to support the over lap. If you lap them backwards your lap will look purity funny. :thumb:
Remember set a string parallel to the roof eve. and set your panels to that string. Screw the bottom (all 8) than go to the top and make your lap. Screw the lap all the way to the bottom. Back to the top set your leading edge and screw it same as the lap all the way to the bottom. Now go fill in the field screws. You can lay out your top and bottom so you have mark to put the sheets to. It helps keep them from growing. Before you start you can lay out your panels and drill them for the screws. Stack up the panels for one side (The top and bottom of the sheet are different on each side if you go left to right on both sides.)and clamp the together. (I think I use a 9/32) Drill your marks make sure you are supported. If the panels push apart your hole will be off and you are going to snap the bit. And make sure to ling up the bottom of the panels. The top does not matter it gets covered. Drilling them will do 2 things 1 keeps the screw line nice and straight. 2 the screw does not have to drill the panel before going into the wood and takes way less effort to get the screw in than trying to hold on and get the screw through the panel. Don't drill them and you will autograph the panels more than once.:thumb: autograph = spinning screw slides across the panel scratching it in the form of you signature. :thumb: Yes I have signed more than one building:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Aaaaaahhhhh the sweet sound of the voice of experience.:thumb::thumb: Thanks Chuck i learnt a thing or two there. But i aint going back to SA to fix my dads old place.:D:wave:

Now let me know the trick you have to get screws in a straight line when you put down boards or decking. Do you just snap a chalk line?

He definitely is speaking from experience. Great advice and in some areas, closely guarded advice. Good job Chuck, Brent, be careful on that there roof. Wait until it is covered in steel and you have to get on top and put on your ridge! I can't remember what I wiped my sneakers with to make them "grippy" and not leave marks. Well on my house I didn't know that procedure so waited for morning dew to burn off and went up and did it barefoot as it was cooler then. Too steep otherwise and would slide off.

He definitely is speaking from experience. Great advice and in some areas, closely guarded advice. Good job Chuck, Brent, be careful on that there roof. Wait until it is covered in steel and you have to get on top and put on your ridge! I can't remember what I wiped my sneakers with to make them "grippy" and not leave marks. Well on my house I didn't know that procedure so waited for morning dew to burn off and went up and did it barefoot as it was cooler then. Too steep otherwise and would slide off.

Ladder to the ridge on the gable end. Than you just got to ride the horse.:thumb:

Aaaaaahhhhh the sweet sound of the voice of experience.:thumb::thumb: Thanks Chuck i learnt a thing or two there. But i aint going back to SA to fix my dads old place.:D:wave:

Now let me know the trick you have to get screws in a straight line when you put down boards or decking. Do you just snap a chalk line?

Tape and a square and lay each board out. :thumb: Oh and small marks that the screw will hide. Can't have any writing on my new deck.:thumb:
Chalk line would be to messy on my nice new deck.:thumb:

Having motivational problems today. The winds are blowning 15-20 and supposed to get worse.:doh:

Well, Nothing for it. Got to get it done, the rains get here next week and if I don't do it today, well, a lot of work will be ruined...:doh:

Weather Forecast said:
This Afternoon: Mostly sunny, with a high near 81. Breezy, with a southwest wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph

Well, I am not going to wrestle with these 10'x3' sheets of roofing today. It's a recipe for disaster. Guess I'll just working on the siding and maybe prime them to get ready for the rain.:dunno:

is sharon ok on heights? if so two makes the job easier. also maybe earlier in the day tomorrow it will be calmer you know your weather better than me but in our area the winds usually are lighter in the am.. unless a big storm is brewing.

Sharon should be able to help in the morning if it's not windy.

I'll get all the holes pre-drilled and ready to go, so it should go pretty fast once I get the first one up on each side.

I hadn't taken any pictures because I was hoping to show some progress, but have had trouble getting free time to do anything.

I'll get the siding up today and hopefully get a coat of primer on those parts.

I'll put up some pictures later today...

In my head I keep seeing the Mythbusters episode where the crash test dummy is hurled from the third floor of a building trying to use a sheet of plywood as a parachute. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited: