It's time for a Shed Thread -Time to get the roof on

"Doesn't Brent already have enough incomplete projects that this really makes no sense?"

Ok, this really made me laugh. They always say that the first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem. Not sure how long it takes to make the second step, as I have yet to make it.

My responses is that this project, when complete, will allow me to clear the junk out of the shop that doesn't belong there that takes up room my woodworking hobby should be using....

So really, this is the first step I need to take in order to get all the clutter out of the way so I can get the shop organized and function and so that I can complete my other projects.

Like Toni suggests, you are not alone.

It'll be a space to store all those car parts for the 46 chevy, the hunting equipment, the boating stuff...

Considering that you are on first name basis with the Brown driver, shouldn't you double the size?

Looking forward to the build!

Considering that you are on first name basis with the Brown driver, shouldn't you double the size?

Well, this is probably the first of about 3 outbuildings I plan on making.

Would like to have a real garden shed/greenhouse and a chicken coop as well, but this one needs to get done first!

Here's a question.

Does 16" on centers seem like a little overkill for studs and trusses in a small shed like this? Any reason not to go with 24"?

first , I cant begin to tell you everytime you post a picture of your home surroundings, it pretty breathtaking to me.
The country/desert is really beautiful., the foothills/mountains in the background. Really a stunning looking environment.

I cant believe you have all that land, all that land, a zipcode full of land, and you have storage headaches.

Ok Brent, there is one thing that amazes me. You out in the dessert why do they want permits etc. Where the heck does one need to go today to get away from the likes of the town bureaucrats. Man was i ever wrong thinking if you get a piece of land out in the middle of nowhere you get to do as you please. First it was Ricks issues and now you restrict yourself to a shed as small as we are allowed to build in a subdivision here where we have postage stamp lots and live on top of each other. For us i can understand but for you:huh: I guess they want the permit money and taxes.:(

I just cannot help thinking that with all the work you gonna do this could have been your shop and the garage the storage. Permits or not i could send you a copy of my plans if you like. Heck they passed all the nonsense here (phew i dodged my own bullet there i nearly broke the coc with a bad couple of words). They were actually drawn up by architect when the guy who build the shell for me saw the town regs.

Whats a few more sq ft gonna add to the work when you already putting down a slab doing all the framing etc. and flattening the land.

Anyhow enjoy the build and its fun watching.:D Thats a nice driveway fence you have there.:thumb: Now you just need to capture one of those wild horses. Ok before you say it i guess then the fish and game guys would be on your back too.:rofl:

Nevada used to be the least regulated state in the union. Unfortunately, all those crazy Californians, who were not CA natives (no offense to my CA friends here) moved here and are just trying to bring their ilks here.

I'm a native Californian, but I remember when we were part of the wild west, not namby-pamby, so now I consider myself a native Nevadan. I cry every now and then that I was driven out.

Hey, can we all join together and buy an island somewhere where we just build and let-build?

Sorry, just had to vent...

On long island, the local villages and towns are so strict when it comes to building, if you pour concrete to repair a cracked piece of sidewalk, you get fined if you didnt get a permit first. You get fined if you dont fix the crack.
Im debating right this minute, if I should attach a small garden shed to my garage to house my dust collector to get it out of the valuable space in my shop/garage, but dont want to have any code inspectors making me go to court or rip it down.
You can buy 100 acres of land on Long Island if you can find it, just dont try and put a trash pail shelter up without getting permission first.

In theory, we have to get a permit to replace our water heater...HELLO, a water heater? Seriously? And if you want to put in a new electrical outlet...need a permit. Don't tell anyone Brent moved an outlet when he put in the bathroom sink (which probably also needed a permit). Maybe I broke the law when I got a new washer/dryer. :dunno::dunno:

They had an "amnesty" program to let you confess all your sins and get/pay for permits after the fact. I'm going on the assumption that my Realtor and former owner signed a disclosure document so I'm not responsible for anything they may have done illegally and did not disclose to us (and I'm pretty sure there were some...i.e. our gigantic master bedroom).

Seems crazy to me. I think it's all a revenue scam.

Well, Pretty good day today. Got the pad prepped up and the forms in place.

Tommorow I'll go and get some more concrete mix and a mixer and get things going...

Heres a little Time lapse of pad prep

Next time I'll try and do it on manual settings. The sun breaking in and out of the clouds on Auto made for a wacky kind of 'flashing' effect in the time lapse.

Took a hot shower and a couple of ibuprofren and I feel fine... (Maybe a beer or two as well).

For the pic police....

attachment.php

Attachments

• shed_005.jpg
    shed_005.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 246
We'll I live in Pinal county which is not the county that Phoenix is in. When I was selling signs I had to get permits approved by the local cities and counties depending on where the customer was. Whenever I did a sign anywhere in Maricopa county all of the cities were a hassle to do business with. The first Sign I did in Pinal county I went down to the county admin office and asked to speak to a planner. When I sat down with the planer I expailned that I was going to pull a permit for a store sign and wanted to find out what I needed to submit to get the permit. I figured I'd do the work up front and go back and get the permit. The planner said well what do you have in terms of plans, I showed here what I had, she helped me with the paper work and I walked out in ten minutes with the permit. I feel I could build just about anything here without the hassles that you folks talk about. Of course this is a state that allows carrying conceled weapons with no permit.

Something like 3088 pics in the timelapse. The battery died at one point and I had to replace it. That's probably when Sharon was 'helping'. I think it was all of 5 minutes....

BTW, Bucky loves 'Outside days'. She doesn't understand when we spend all of our time inside staring at the light boxes on our desks....

Brent you have those time lapse videos down to a fine art. I watched it couple of times.

You sure get intesting weather living where you do. Boy Bucky follows you like a tail. Its interesting to see her head moving back and forth as she lies down and watches you work.

What size did you say that shed was? It sure looks way bigger than a small shed.:rofl: Dont worry we so far away we wont tell up here. You lucky you dont have my NN.:rofl:

Hope you feel like working tomorrow Brent. After all that work I think you should take the day off or you be the switch control man on the mixer and have the better half load the cement. You wont get any Irish wise cracks then she will be too tired to chirp.:rofl: Hey i tried to hide this print but did not know how to do it. We need lemon juice and paper here for secret writing.:D

Best of luck tomorrow.:thumb:

Just saw your previous post, do you use an ordinary camera for those pics or you using your little webcam setup. If you use an ordinary camera what setting do you use?

Brent you have those time lapse videos down to a fine art. I watched it couple of times.

Not happy with how this one turned out. Would like the exposures to be more even. I'll work on it a bit. Also didn't like the way this one turned out with the post processing. Too many artifacts at the start.

You sure get intesting weather living where you do.

I love watching the clouds float by.

Boy Bucky follows you like a tail. Its interesting to see her head moving back and forth as she lies down and watches you work.

These are the days she lives for. The look on her face on the days we do outside work is priceless.

What size did you say that shed was? It sure looks way bigger than a small shed.:rofl: Dont worry we so far away we wont tell up here. You lucky you dont have my NN.:rofl:

That's why I like this plan so much. The footprint of the shed itself is only 120sq ft. The attic is much larger. The slab itself is 10x20, so 200 sq ft...

Hope you feel like working tomorrow Brent. After all that work I think you should take the day off or you be the switch control man on the mixer and have the better half load the cement. You wont get any Irish wise cracks then she will be too tired to chirp.:rofl: Hey i tried to hide this print but did not know how to do it. We need lemon juice and paper here for secret writing.:D
Best of luck tomorrow.:thumb:

Feeling pretty good now. Probably only moved 2 yards of "stuff". The hard part is that it's not really "Digging" out here. It's loosen the rocks and get the stuff around the rocks moved then move the rocks. Trying to put a shovel into the ground is a useless task.

The more I work my shoulder, the better it feels lately. I think the hard part is done. Loading up a mixer and pouring cement should be easier than wielding the pick axe and idiot stick.

Just saw your previous post, do you use an ordinary camera for those pics or you using your little webcam setup. If you use an ordinary camera what setting do you use?

Used my New to me DSLR with an intervalometer on the totally 'auto' setting. I was taking one pic every 5 seconds.

With the clouds moving over, it lead to the exposure totally changing from pic, leading to the 'flashing' as some shots were exposed differently.

Tomorrow I'll experiment with a totally manual setting to see if that effect can be reduced....