It's time for a Shed Thread -Time to get the roof on

Hope you feel like working tomorrow Brent. After all that work I think you should take the day off or you be the switch control man on the mixer and have the better half load the cement. You wont get any Irish wise cracks then she will be too tired to chirp.:rofl: Hey i tried to hide this print but did not know how to do it. We need lemon juice and paper here for secret writing.:D

OK, wise guy...

I see he cut out all the sections showing me doing all the work :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nah, you're in there from about 1:23 to 1:29 or so. Working hard...as a supervisor. I can see you standing on the right of the frame watching Brent dig for a bit, then you got tired and had to sit on the tractor for a few minutes to catch your breath. :p

I'll vouch for her that she did help rake for a while, but apparently the battery in the camera died around that time.

She'll be out there today as I'll need the help for screeding and such!

Shhhhh... Be quite, Sharon is sleeping. Napcar is on...

She was a trooper today and did a great job of moving the wet concrete around and helping to screed. I could not have done it without her for sure :thumb:

Anyway, things went pretty well. I was dismayed that the rental mixer could only handle two 80# bags at a time. After the first couple of pours I think we both thought "Wow, this is going to take forever!" But after a while, things started to go pretty well.

Ended up going through 95 bags, which I'm reckoning is around 7,600# of bagged mix I moved today. So it only cost 340$ for the slab. Next time, I'd be willing to double that and have it delivered.:rofl:

It's an ugly slab, but it's flat and level, that much I know, and It will be a good base for the shed that's going on it.

I like todays timelapse better. Exposures are more even. The only problem is the camera battery died about 20 minutes right before the very end. Oh well. All you missed is me trying to 4 wheel Bubba up the hill right at the camera and failing the first attempt, then putting it into 2nd gear (4 wheel low) and getting some speed and barreling up at the camera... :eek:

I'm sure it'll be a cracked slab, but there's a double layer of rebar all the way around, and a couple of extra pieces across the front porch. At least the rattlers wont be able to get under it, nor will the wind be able to knock it down, like if I had it built on pier blocks...

Here's the video!

Pouring the slab

Last time I poured any amount of concrete there was a rental yard that had trailer that looked like the back end small cement truck. All self contained with there own hydraulic power plants to turn the drum. I think it held 3 or 4 yard of pre-mixed. All you needed to do was back it up to the forms put out the tough reverse the drum and pour. Next time you do one of these think about renting one of them.

Last time I poured any amount of concrete there was a rental yard that had trailer that looked like the back end small cement truck. All self contained with there own hydraulic power plants to turn the drum. I think it held 3 or 4 yard of pre-mixed. All you needed to do was back it up to the forms put out the tough reverse the drum and pour. Next time you do one of these think about renting one of them.

probably won't be a next time! :rofl:

I thought about chasing down a bigger unit today, but it only took about 4 hours, and the place I put it in wasn't really accessible, except for 4 wheel drive. Next time I'll take Chucks advice and just have that part done by the pro's...

Lets see 4 hours of hard work??????????? Or 30 minutes of hard work and the rest of the day to drink beer and watch concrete dry??????????????
Hmmmmmmmmm I just don't know what to do:doh::doh::thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I wish I had a fast forward button for a lot of my projects!

Big project deadline this week for work, hoping to get it done so I can take next week off. Have to rip up the carpet and some more flooring in the house so they can put down new carpet in a week or two.

Have to get some carpet reducer to cap the ends of the laminate too...

Hoping that I can get some time in on the Shed and on the Entertainment center next week, IF I can get my project for work done this week...

Brent, the plan looks great. The time lapse is also cool.:thumb:

When we built our house a few years ago I went to the codes office after the July 4th holiday to check on something. I was talking the the lady at the window and she asked if I had my driveway permit? I said driveway permit:huh:? Another lady said yea you need a driveway permit. I said since when? She said it started that day. She told me I was the second person in the county to need one. I was of course thrilled. Not only did I have to drop a c note to get one, but the codes guy had to come out and see if I could put it where I had planned.

Hey how did we miss that post.:huh: I think there is a bug here somewhere with the todays post feature. I keep finding posts that i did not see show up.

Well done Sharon and Brent. You two are both troopers on doing all that concrete. Man alive it must have been a back breaking day.

Time lapse was great Brent.:thumb: Well the worst is over. Does it need inspecting?

John its amazing the things the local govs think up just to get more tax dollars.

I just got my assesment for town taxes and my shop increased the property value and now costs me more taxes.:(

I missed it too, Brent. :doh: Rob, it's not a bug in the New Posts feature, it's just the fact that un-viewed thread will scroll off the list pretty quickly if you stay logged onto the site. Sometimes I forget to close the FW tab on my browser when I leave the computer for a few hours, and when I come back only a few threads are showing in the New Posts list. The software doesn't know I've not read them yet, it just knows I've been logged in for an hour or more since it first told me about them, and it assumes I've seen it. The "Today's Posts" option under the Quick Links menu is one way to avoid having new stuff scroll off the list too quickly.

What's grazing in the background from about 0:42 to 0:54 or so?

Well done Sharon and Brent. You two are both troopers on doing all that concrete. Man alive it must have been a back breaking day.

Time lapse was great Brent.:thumb: Well the worst is over. Does it need inspecting?

Since the shed square footage is 120 square feet, It does not need inspecting. So, that's the assumption I'm operating under.

What's grazing in the background from about 0:42 to 0:54 or so?

That's Lonely Boy. A solitary wild horse that just roams around...

Here's another shot I took of him up in the hills above the house at sunset the other day.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator: