It's time for a Shed Thread -Time to get the roof on

...Guess I'm really committed now with all the cash I've layed out for materials...

Plus, the sooner you get it done, the less you have to deal with the summer heat in the process. Wish you were a few hours closer...it'd be a fun weekend project to help out on.

It would be fun to have some helpers!

It was a blast working with my Dad last weekend.

I did forget to buy the Simpson strong tie bits and pieces, so I'll be running back to the depot tomorrow morning, which is fine, as I've got plenty to work on...

Should be able to post plenty of pics this weekend...

Ran to the depot today and picked up the rest of what I think I need to finish the shed. Just some of those brackets and stuff for holding the roof to the shed in high winds...

Well, Finished up the trusses and have them all stacked up.

Now since I didn't do a great job on the slab, I'm going to go resurface it. to make it look better...

attachment.php

Attachments

• FWW-3037.jpg
    FWW-3037.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 169
Fifteen trusses? Wow! That ain't no shed, it's almost a McMansion! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

The original plans are definitely overkill. They called for 20 trusses on 12" centers. I'm modifying things so it's only 15 trusses, 16" centers. Since the rafters overhang and are exposed, it's more for looks than anything else.

I'm going a little overboard on this thing, because I didn't want to just put up an ordinary shed. It should actually look like a little craftsman bungalow when I'm done...

...Now since I didn't do a great job on the slab, I'm going to go resurface it. to make it look better...

If you do, be sure to use a bonding agent between the old and the new concrete. Especially since this slab will be exposed to freezing temperatures, you run a real risk of the top layer cracking and separating from the bottom layer.

That is, unless you're talking about resurfacing it by subtraction (grinding) instead of addition (pouring). If you're just planning to grind it smooth, never mind. Carry on. :wave:

If you do, be sure to use a bonding agent between the old and the new concrete. Especially since this slab will be exposed to freezing temperatures, you run a real risk of the top layer cracking and separating from the bottom layer.

That is, unless you're talking about resurfacing it by subtraction (grinding) instead of addition (pouring). If you're just planning to grind it smooth, never mind. Carry on. :wave:

Now that I'm done you pipe in with some great advice :rolleyes: :rofl:

Well, I power washed it, sprayed some etching stuff on it, and then used special resurfacer that supposedly has crack reducing properties. Tried to follow the directions on the package. Probably did it wrong. Guess I'll find out :eek:

If it flakes off, it'll flake off. The slab itself was pretty solid, just the top of it was rough because we did a substandard job of screeding and finishing. I could have lived with it the way it was, since it will just house garden tools, but thought I'd take a stab at it and try and make it look a little better...

Last edited:
Wow Brent

When you showed us a pic of the original plan i never gave the trusses a second thought. Now we see the pile i am thinking maybe i should go back to the guys that built my shed and ask for a refund.:rofl:

Best of luck with the rest of the build looking forward to see it all up.:thumb:

There's a porch in front of the shed. It'll be kind of an elaborate shed, a little more than the normal box with doors... The porch with the overhang gives it more attic storage. And yet it will still just be a 120 square foot shed, meeting local code requirements for not having to futz around with building permits and the like...

I'm actually tempted to turn it into a 'man cave' instead of a shed.. :rofl: