Vaughn is moonlighting!!!

Vaughn, come on, we are family, you could have told us about this new job. Bet after this night you needed new drawers!!

By Jessica Daley, ABC5 News Reporter
Police Officer Accidentally Fires at TV Photographer
Posted: Oct 14, 2010 8:52 AM Updated: Oct 15, 2010 12:40 AM

Turns out it wasn't bullets but big rocks flying Wednesday night outside a local TV station. It wasn't until police showed up that an actual gun was fired.

Employees at KCCI-TV heard breaking glass in their building and called police saying shots were fired. When the first officer arrived on the scene, he saw a person outside the building and drew his weapon. He fired a single shot.

Officer Cody Grimes, a three-year veteran with Des Moines police, actually shot at a KCCI photographer who he mistook for the suspect. Thankfully, he missed.

Officers later found 27-year-old Jesse Parish nearby. They took him down with a taser. Parish wasn't armed, but allegedly broke some windows at the KCCI building and damaged several cars. Parish was arrested and charged with interference with official acts, criminal mischief 2nd (2 counts), criminal mischief 3rd (2 counts), and burglary 3rd. He was transported to Polk County Jail.

The Des Moines police policy for when an officer can open fire is when they feel their life or someone else's life is in danger. They said that's what happened Wednesday night.

"A number of employees were in the station. When the rocks were hitting the windows, it sounded like shots," said News Director Dave Busiek. While many employees were taking cover, photographer Spencer Vaughn headed out a back door to track the suspect and help police when they arrived. Instead, Vaughn matched the vague description police had; a white male in a gray shirt.

Vaughn was holding a cell phone which officer Grimes mistook as a weapon. From the 911 calls, Grimes believed an active shooter was in the area. He felt a threat for this life and fired.

"He did nothing wrong," said Sgt. Jeff Edwards of the Des Moines Police Department. "Both sides are fortunate no one was hurt. But the blame is solely the responsibility of the person committing the criminal acts."

It's the one time people were glad an officer missed his target. "The main thing is just a tremendous sigh of relief and gratitude that we're talking about this situation without a serious injury or death," said Busiek.

The police department is investigating the incident, which is protocol for any officer-involved shooting. Officer Grimes is on paid leave during the investigation.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I would say the occifer needs an eye check up. Cell phone for a gun:huh:

Just imagine a guy like that in a fighter plane.

It happens with surprising regularity here in LA. And if you don't happen to have a cell phone, the thoughtful officers will put one in your hands afterward to justify the shooting. :rolleyes: And the LAPD may not be any better shots the the guys in Des Moines, but the'll make up for it in volume. No way they would have taken a single shot at this guy. They would have used up at least two clips. Per officer.

And before anyone jumps on me too hard for saying bad things about LAPD...I have several good friends who are cops. I admire and appreciate the work they do. But there are some real dirtballs on the LAPD. Rampart is just one example.

Last edited:
And before anyone jumps on me too hard for saying bad things about LAPD...I have several good friends who are cops. I admire and appreciate the work they do. But there are some real dirtballs on the LAPD.

I understand, it involves all walks of life that there are good and bad. I have many Amish friends, some of my "English" friends always suck in their breath when I say not all Amish are good horsemen. "They's good and bad in all bunches, be it dogs, horses or women".