WW Vise

I got one just like that from Western Auto for less than 10 bucks....but that was in 1963!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Keep the moving parts lubed with a dry spray lubricant and it will last forever......give or take.:thumb:

I'm running two of them. I have two LV under the workbench to replace them with but, they are still doing the job so I guess I'll wait till one dies. I had to open about 6 of them to find 2 that were workable. I then basically dismantled them in the shop and cleaned up a lot of the poor fit and finish. Took all of about an hour for both and they have been used almost daily since May of 2007 without issue. I'd say I got my money's worth.

Attachments

• Vises-at-3-plus-years-face.jpg
    Vises-at-3-plus-years-face.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Vises-at-3-plus-years-tail.jpg
    Vises-at-3-plus-years-tail.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 47
Hi,
You should be happy with your HF vise. You will probably outgrow it. However, when you outgrow it and get something better there is a good chance you will put it someplace else as a secondary vise.

I paid $19 for the HF vise, on sale. I paid $175 for the new Rockler. I would not go back to the HF. With that said---each of those vises had their problems and their assets. Both of them have cantankerous sliding mechanisms. The Rockler has a very much sturdier mechanism. I really should go back and re-clean the Rockler sliding mechanism. Perhaps I did not get all of the packing goo out of it.

Both of them have problems with the vise faces being true to each other. It is one heck of a lot easier to correct this with the HF. All you have to do is plane the wood vise faces until they are parallel. With the Rockler you have to remove the vise from the bench to do adjusting because the two "Tie Rods"(?) and the screw run through the bench side vise face. I really like this concept. It is just a pain go get things initialized. As is, it is everybit as good as the HF. The Rockler can be improved to surpass the HF improved.

I still have my HF and do not intend to get rid of it.

Enjoy,

Jim

If money is a bit tight, the HF will do you well. It is like a sound system or a car...A certain amount of money buys you a good functional product...As you spend more, it gets better...However, the amount of improvement for the dollar spent drops off. Then when you get to the fancy stuff it takes a lot more money for an improvement that might be apparent only to an affectionado.

The HF has a bit of racking, but so does the Rockler. The Rockler does because I have not planed the wood faces to be parallel when the vise is tight...To a degree that is my fault. However, it seems than $175 should buy you parallel jaws.

I keep seeing this sale price, and keep coming close to going to HF Pasadena to pick one up and take advantage of the sale. But I don't have a bench to put it on, nor do I have room to add a bench to the shop. I've got the 7" non-quick release Rockler vise that I picked up on sale a couple years ago...it's still in the box on a shelf, waiting for the day when I can actually put it to use. So I keep talking myself out of this HF model.

Now that I think about it, maybe I should sell the unused Rockler vise and put that money into the HF one instead. The HF model is bigger and has the quick release feature. :rolleyes: Hmm...

[Edit to add...]

A quick look on eBay shows 6 1/2" vises (like my 7" Rockler one) selling for more than the HF vise sale price. Sounds like a no-brainer to me. ;)

and sit on the shelf unused but cost you less and take up more space.

Very true, but someday I hope to have a bigger shop, so then I will be wanting a vise. I just found a 20% HF coupon I've been saving. If I sell the smaller vise, it looks like I can upgrade to the bigger one and actually make a few bucks in the process. I can probably find the space to store it until I need it. :D

Vaughn I had to smile reading your post. I wonder how many of us woodworkers have something similar going on in our heads. I always think of my dust collector. Cost me a fortune but its a similar story to your vice.:rofl::rofl: There are many things i keep talking mysefl out of.:)

Oh the cause of it, my Dads words ringing in my ears " Act in haste repent at your leisure". Still have not learnt that lesson at 52.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::huh: