Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed on some Used Tools Available

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

Advice Needed on some Used Tools Available

I would dearly appreciate it if some of you folks would give me some advice on some used stuff near me and if they're good deals. All stuff I don't have. Don't know if it's all still available, but tell me what, if anything, I should explore, and what I should pay....

Craigslist #1 here especially the drill press;
    Craigslist #2 here
    Craigslist #3 here

And in the Buy/Sell:

Beaver Rockwell Bandsaw 10" extra blades, well-kept, $150

Delta Q3 18" variable speed scroll saw barely used, in "as new" condition, graphite arm, extra blades $150

Tell me what you think!

Thanks a million,
    Cynthia
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

The three Craigs List items seem a bit high, especially the Delta jointer. (You can buy a comparable Grizzly for less than they want for a used Delta.) The Delta drill press is almost reasonable, but I think it's still more that half the cost of new. (A good rule of thumb is used tools should sell for about half their new cost, with adjustments for condition and desirability.) In your location, that might be a good price.

I don't have any experience with the 10" Delta bandsaw. Offhand I'd say the price looks good, but it's quite possible you'd be shopping for something bigger before too long.

I'll let someone who knows scroll saws chime in on the value of the Delta Q3. Keep in mind that a scroll saw is a pretty specialized piece of equipment...it's great for making tight intricate cuts in thin wood, but it's not something you're likely to use on a variety of project like you would a drill press or band saw.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

+1 on Vaughn's remarks. Half or so of the new price.

Everything you pointed out was a bit on the high side. Some more than a bit.

Also, please don't start collecting tools for the sake of collecting tools. The scroll saw could be an example of this. It would be wiser to buy tools as you need them. Then you will have a collection that you actually use for the kind of woodworking you are doing.

As you refine your focus, you may sell something you bought to buy some more appropriate.

Tools do not make the woodworker. The woodworker makes use of the tools in her craft. It is still your hands, your creativity, your skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    The three Craigs List items seem a bit high, especially the Delta jointer. (You can buy a comparable Grizzly for less than they want for a used Delta.) The Delta drill press is almost reasonable, but I think it's still more that half the cost of new. (A good rule of thumb is used tools should sell for about half their new cost, with adjustments for condition and desirability.) In your location, that might be a good price.

I don't have any experience with the 10" Delta bandsaw. Offhand I'd say the price looks good, but it's quite possible you'd be shopping for something bigger before too long.

I'll let someone who knows scroll saws chime in on the value of the Delta Q3. Keep in mind that a scroll saw is a pretty specialized piece of equipment...it's great for making tight intricate cuts in thin wood, but it's not something you're likely to use on a variety of project like you would a drill press or band saw.
    Ditto

Especially on the scrollsaw, I know a lot of people who buy one, use it a few times and then it just takes up space.

Drill press looked like the best deal there, but still, a bit high.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    +1 on Vaughn's remarks. Half or so of the new price.

Everything you pointed out was a bit on the high side. Some more than a bit.

Also, please don't start collecting tools for the sake of collecting tools.

Tools do not make the woodworker. The woodworker makes use of the tools in her craft. It is still your hands, your creativity, your skill.
    Carol, but collecting tools is fun! Basically, I'm just not qualified to judge what's a good price.......so if a screaming deal comes along I don't want to miss it.

This guy says it's all still available......
    http://comoxvalley.en.craigslist.ca/tls/2002862912.html
    so what would be a good price for these things? What would be worth getting?
    AKA The Rookie

I'd offer $500. Maybe go as high as $550 for all.

Craigs list has tons of good deals if you have patience.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

You can get radial arm saws for under 100 bucks all the time and if you have one you don't really need a miter saw unless you consider the amount of real estate the RAS takes. I still use my RAS but I'm just stubborn 'cause I've had it for 35 years.

Does a 6" jointer mean you can't put a board on it that's wider than 6"?
    AKA The Rookie

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    That is correct for Face joining it makes lumber selection very difficult.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    That is correct for Face joining it makes lumber selection very difficult.
    No it does not. I just upgraded from a 6" to a 8" jointer and I still face jointed boards 10 to 12 inches wide on it.

As for the drill press it looks just like the one I bought at Tractor supply for $169. Drills holes just as good as the more expensive ones!