Advice Needed on some Used Tools Available

I would dearly appreciate it if some of you folks would give me some advice on some used stuff near me and if they're good deals. All stuff I don't have. Don't know if it's all still available, but tell me what, if anything, I should explore, and what I should pay....

Craigslist #1 here especially the drill press;
Craigslist #2 here
Craigslist #3 here

And in the Buy/Sell:

Beaver Rockwell Bandsaw 10" extra blades, well-kept, $150

Delta Q3 18" variable speed scroll saw barely used, in "as new" condition, graphite arm, extra blades $150

Tell me what you think!

Thanks a million,
Cynthia ;)

The three Craigs List items seem a bit high, especially the Delta jointer. (You can buy a comparable Grizzly for less than they want for a used Delta.) The Delta drill press is almost reasonable, but I think it's still more that half the cost of new. (A good rule of thumb is used tools should sell for about half their new cost, with adjustments for condition and desirability.) In your location, that might be a good price.

I don't have any experience with the 10" Delta bandsaw. Offhand I'd say the price looks good, but it's quite possible you'd be shopping for something bigger before too long.

I'll let someone who knows scroll saws chime in on the value of the Delta Q3. Keep in mind that a scroll saw is a pretty specialized piece of equipment...it's great for making tight intricate cuts in thin wood, but it's not something you're likely to use on a variety of project like you would a drill press or band saw.

+1 on Vaughn's remarks. Half or so of the new price.

Everything you pointed out was a bit on the high side. Some more than a bit.

Also, please don't start collecting tools for the sake of collecting tools. The scroll saw could be an example of this. It would be wiser to buy tools as you need them. Then you will have a collection that you actually use for the kind of woodworking you are doing.

As you refine your focus, you may sell something you bought to buy some more appropriate.

Tools do not make the woodworker. The woodworker makes use of the tools in her craft. It is still your hands, your creativity, your skill.

The three Craigs List items seem a bit high, especially the Delta jointer. (You can buy a comparable Grizzly for less than they want for a used Delta.) The Delta drill press is almost reasonable, but I think it's still more that half the cost of new. (A good rule of thumb is used tools should sell for about half their new cost, with adjustments for condition and desirability.) In your location, that might be a good price.

I don't have any experience with the 10" Delta bandsaw. Offhand I'd say the price looks good, but it's quite possible you'd be shopping for something bigger before too long.

I'll let someone who knows scroll saws chime in on the value of the Delta Q3. Keep in mind that a scroll saw is a pretty specialized piece of equipment...it's great for making tight intricate cuts in thin wood, but it's not something you're likely to use on a variety of project like you would a drill press or band saw.

Ditto :thumb:

Especially on the scrollsaw, I know a lot of people who buy one, use it a few times and then it just takes up space.

Drill press looked like the best deal there, but still, a bit high.:dunno:

+1 on Vaughn's remarks. Half or so of the new price.

Everything you pointed out was a bit on the high side. Some more than a bit.

Also, please don't start collecting tools for the sake of collecting tools.

Tools do not make the woodworker. The woodworker makes use of the tools in her craft. It is still your hands, your creativity, your skill.

Carol, but collecting tools is fun! :D :D :D Basically, I'm just not qualified to judge what's a good price.......so if a screaming deal comes along I don't want to miss it.

This guy says it's all still available......
http://comoxvalley.en.craigslist.ca/tls/2002862912.html
so what would be a good price for these things? What would be worth getting?

You can get radial arm saws for under 100 bucks all the time and if you have one you don't really need a miter saw unless you consider the amount of real estate the RAS takes. I still use my RAS but I'm just stubborn 'cause I've had it for 35 years.

That is correct for Face joining it makes lumber selection very difficult.

No it does not. I just upgraded from a 6" to a 8" jointer and I still face jointed boards 10 to 12 inches wide on it.

As for the drill press it looks just like the one I bought at Tractor supply for $169. Drills holes just as good as the more expensive ones!:thumb:

Evening Cynthis.

I'll comment on the Dewalt planer. If the price is less than 50% of the dw735.($679.99) and you can live with the size. It's a good deal. I've used the 735 a lot when working at Woodcraft and it was accurate and stood up to some heavy use.

Bruce

Bruce Shiverdecker said:
Evening Cynthis.

I'll comment on the Dewalt planer. If the price is less than 50% of the dw735.($679.99) and you can live with the size. It's a good deal. I've used the 735 a lot when working at Woodcraft and it was accurate and stood up to some heavy use.

Bruce

Bruce, it's the 733, not the 735. That makes the planer even less of a deal.

Cynthia, about the only thing I'd consider out of the lot is the drill press. For a Delta that size I think $250 to $300 is a more reasonable price. I paid less than $200 for my 17" drill press new, although that was due to an error on the part of Sears. It listed for over $500. ;)

Hopefully the variety of answers is supplying info or triggering thoughts for you that will lead you to an eventual decision. We all have differing experiences and therefor differing opinions. Some folks have deals drop in their laps all the time and others wait a long time for the fit they are after to occur. This is probably mostly geographical and all the things that go along with differing conditions where each of us lives.

I've picked up some used tools quite inexpensively (including free) but. have also sat shaking my head at what some people think some things are worth. My 16-1/2" Delta DP was $300 new at the BORG but, they went up to nearly $400 before disappearing into the Delta/Porter Cable/B&D cloud.

Your needs will vary directly with what you do and one persons "gotta have" is another persons "take it or leave it" tool. A perspective from my point of view (which is only a tiny window into the wide array of experiences you can take advantage of here) might be:

- a decent bentchtop DP for under $100 got a lot of work done for me before I outgrew it. Got my money's worth while I had it and got a good price when I sold it.
- 6" jointer became useless almost overnight. Sold it and used a planer sled till I saved enough for an 8" jointer.
- DW734 planer has been great since day one. I bought a 3HP, spiral headed beast as an upgrade and am still keeping the DW734 as a finish-planer.
- 12" Craftsman bandsaw became useless almost overnight but, that was from me trying to make it do things it wasn't designed for. Bought a 17" and sold the 12" only to learn how useful a smaller bandsaw is; bought a 10" bandsaw used, should have kept the 12" and saved some money . . . still learning . . .
- A RAS takes up a tremendous amount of real estate for what it does. If you don't often cross cut long stock, pass.
- I have used my CMS about 6 times in the last 2 years, see RAS.
- I have 7 routers and could use another one.
- My Bosch 1591 jigsaw is the closest thing to heaven in a jigsaw I have ever experienced.
- Bench grinders are useful but decent ones cost more than I will ever spend for one.
- Spending an entire Saturday tuning your tablesaw (or any other precision machine) will pay you back with completely predictable performance for years to come.

. . . . good thing I haven't had my coffee yet or I could start rambling :rofl:

I agree with Glenn on almost all counts [I'm not a router-holic, 2 with 3 bases meet my limited needs.]

Another area worth exploring is "cheap" new tools vs "good" old ones. Most Harbor Freight power tools are, in my daughter's words, "sketchy". But I've had a HF DP for going on 20 years, and IIRC paid under $200 for it new, and it has worked just great. OTOH, I had a HF 14" bandsaw, and it was a disappointment from day 1. If you can find out which stationary tools are decent, you can get them new, and buy old iron for the others.

Last, I just want to repeat that I see no use for a Radial Arm saw, that can't be handled by a circular saw with a guide, I think they are dangerous, and take up a huge amount of floor. Just my $.02.

Something you should know about the DeWalt 733 - it's the last DW lunchbox planer that came with re-sharpenable blades. All the rest are disposable. I've had mine for years and really like it. $350 is more than I paid for it new though, and the price they are asking is downright silly.

Well Cynthia you have some really really good advice from Glenn and Jim besides the others. I relate to what Glenn said 100%.

I would like to add one element you might want to consider.

You are in a prime position with access to a store like Grizz not too far away.

There are two advantages to this pertinent to consider here.

1) New Tools have a warranty and Grizz prices and quality is really good for hobbiests.
2) You are also close enough to deal with them for service.

You might want to weight that up. It all depends on how comfortable you feel or "Glassman" feels working on your machines.

Remember guys like for example STu and Jeff can take an old clunker and turn it into a princess and enjoy the process and in my view have a machine that is better than anything available today in many cases. But they earned it in sweat equity.

I will also add, i looked at tools like I do a mattress. I can get a cheapo mattress and not enjoy my sleep and have to trade it in over and over. Or i by a decent one with a 10 year warranty and sleep well for a long time.

Carols point is very valid too. I have "wanted a scroll saw" what for i dont know. Its her type of comment and Stus that have kept me sane and stopped me from buying one.

Jim makes a good point about the radial arm saw. Some will swear by them. But my Dewalt 12 inch compound sliding mitre saw is a pain in my rear. Its just too big for a small shop for the amount i use it and when you get a sled made for your table saw you will see you dont really need one.

There is no easy answer its all about what you want to do.

Good luck. :wave:

I agree with Glenn on almost all counts
Most Harbor Freight power tools are, in my daughter's words, "sketchy". But I've had a HF DP for going on 20 years, and IIRC paid under $200 for it new, and it has worked just great. OTOH, I had a HF 14" band-saw, and it was a disappointment from day 1. If you can find out which stationary tools are decent, you can get them new, and buy old iron for the others.

Last, I just want to repeat that I see no use for a Radial Arm saw, that can't be handled by a circular saw with a guide, I think they are dangerous, and take up a huge amount of floor. Just my $.02.
I agree with Ken on almost all counts
Boy Ken I'm glad it's only your $.02 worth & not $2.00 worth I'd have to get rid of both my 10" & 12" RAS's both handed down from my Dad from a time when CMS were not so prevalent Both are still good saws. Before that he had a home made swing saw ever heard of one of those. Oh & no RAS's are not dangerous tools, no tool is dangerous.

Just my point of view but try this as you leave your shop look around & notice how you are leaving things now turn off the lights & leave. Now when you next come into your shop turn on the lights & notice those tools didn't do anything while you were gone especially hurt someone while no one was in the shop. Strange those tools didn't even move under their own power while you were gone. So wouldn't you have to agree it's the operator that's dangerous. I have heard that RAS's are dangerous for the last 12-15 years on WW forums that's a very small part of the 40 years that I've had access to these 2 RAS's & used them & I've not sustained any damage from them yet. No tool has just jumped out & bitten me of it's on volition as I walked by. I've never been able to train any tool to bite like a mean pit bull.

I do agree with you, RAS's do take up floor space.

Last edited:
You guys are the best! That's why I ask these things here. I learned so much in this thread. Let me address a few things that were brought up.

1. First, Carol, I always listen to what you say. I will try not to buy stuff just for sport.

2. Vaughn, thanks for being specific on the items prices. and thanks Glenn for summarizing things.

3. Sounds like I'm going to outgrow the 6" jointer quickly and should maybe hold out for an 8" when the time/opportunity comes.

4. In general, the DP is what I want next. So I'll see if that guy wants to come *way* down in price, otherwise I'll wait a bit.

5. Rob, I promise I won't rule out Grizzly. I have no problem buying stateside in principle, but my going there is problematic as I have an elderly sickly dog that I can't/won't leave and can't take. (If I leave him for more than a work day I pay for it dearly in vet bills).

6. I really don't want a RAS. Bart, I know that most accidents are operator error, but--with all due respect--even with expert operators, there are still more accidents associated with some tools than others. How many people here know an expert who has had an accident with a TS or even a lathe? Glassman is very against having an RAS--and he's always had them in the Glass Shop. And frankly big open blades scare me. Not too mention the real estate.

7. I'm happy to buy used if it's a good deal and in good shape. I'm happy to calibrate or adjust a tool, but I'm not a machinist or welder and don't want to be.

8. Lots of people aren't real hot on the scroll saw idea. But that's something I *really* want and know I would use for some artsy girly stuff. I already have plans for it. So if a good deal comes along, I definitely want one.

I like posting this kind of question here, because not only do I get feedback on prices, but also feedback on your personal experiences. We are not all alike, and I like to hear from all of you before I make up my own mind and make a decision. Don't feel slighted if I didn't mention you by name. I appreciate *all* the comments.

Thanks all, and any more info people want to add is always welcome.

Cynthia :D :wave:

You are in a prime position with access to a store like Grizz not too far away.

There are two advantages to this pertinent to consider here.

1) New Tools have a warranty and Grizz prices and quality is really good for hobbiests.
2) You are also close enough to deal with them for service.

Cynthia, be sure to drop me a line if you end up taking a trip to Grizzley someday and we can arrange a visit. I am only a few minutes away. Just remember that this store is not open on weekends. Never could understand that.