Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saturday - Hollowing Tool Making & Finish

Saturday - Hollowing Tool Making & Finish

Had today free to finish up a turning project and finish making my hollowing tool handles. Started by cutting up (2) 3/4" boring bars and (2) 1" boring bars.

What I ended up with is (1 )-3/4" with a swivel type tip that i made days ago - (1 )-3/4" straight boring bar and (1 )-3/4" bar that holds a 45' type cutting tip.

Then I made (1)-1" straight boring bar and (1)-1" bar that will hold the same 45' angle cutting tip.

Total cost of cold rolled for the 4 bars was about $18.00 as long as I paid in cash...............figure that..............Total cost is somewhere under $100.00 and that includes the making of a new tool rest out of 1" stock - How does it cut now ? beautifully!!! The rig is made much more rugged than the others I have seen on the market but I chose the materials for that reason anyway to make one stout. The laser is dead on accurate but its a little bigger one than on my monster rig which I think is 3mw and the ones i used on this rig are 5mw - which is no big deal, the laser dot is a bit bigger but nice and bright. It is a bit more trouble to set the laser (2 securing points for vertical adjustment and 2 for horizontal) but consider the cutting ease ill live with it..........

I went out and bought different bolts - flat on top and made out of SS - much stronger and do not stick up like in the pictures - .40ea.......

Picture 1 - is the project covered in plastic bags and sprayed once a day while I had to work the last 4 days. Did not crack and I was glad because I wanted to try the boring bars on this pc. It is 12 1/2 wide and 15 1/2 deep.
    Picture 2-3 are the vessel finish turned and hollowed
    Picture 4- 1" bar with 45' tool tip in it - and I made another 3/4 to hold the same cutter
    Picture 5 - 3/4 straight and swivel tip tool
    Picture 6 - swivel tip cutter in 3/4" bar
    Picture 7 - 3 older vessels with finish coats drying

Its not a hard project but is time consuming - I would say well worth the work.........................thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sunday-3.jpg   Saturday-2.jpg   Saturday-3.jpg   Saturday-5.jpg   Saturday-6.jpg  

Tip-1.jpg   Saturday-1.jpg  
    Last edited by Dan Mosley; 10-17-2010 at 02:16 AM.
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Looking good, Dan. One of these days I need to get a 1" bar for my hollowing rigs.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Looks good Dan. Looks like it does the job.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Good "tutorial" Dan! It's going to be very helpful
    Last edited by Jim Burr; 10-18-2010 at 04:05 AM.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Jim and anybody else making one just yell if you want to talk about aspects of it. Im all for making tools if you can do it - cheaper and alot of times better made.
    Do not let not having a welder slow you down - I did not have a good one when I started (bought one cheap during the process though) and I found someone that would have welded the rig pc's for me for $40.00 - $50.00 if I would have needed to.

The steel is not expensive if you ask about cut offs at a supplier - They let me go thru there cut off piles and pick out what I wanted and sold it to cheaply - most of the rig was made from cut offs.

Below are pictures of hollowing tools - all homemade - some by Jamison - some by Jordan - some by others and mine - but they will give you some ideas on how you may want to make them.

I working on a new design of one and ill post pics when im done.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hollowing Tip.jpg   Hunter-bent[1].jpg   Jamieson-tool[1].jpg   Jordan-style-tools[1].jpg   Saturday-5.jpg  

Saturday-6.jpg   Tip-1.jpg   im000889[1].jpg   im000890[1] (600 x 453).jpg   im000894[1] (600 x 237).jpg  

Last edited by Dan Mosley; 10-18-2010 at 03:37 AM.
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Very impressive!

Good job there, Dan! I've got to admit I can't do anything with metal and have never tried. I took 1 high school shop class in wood and somehow managed to pass that despite it generally being a timeout hour for misfits
    This whole turning ordeal is like being a kid all over again in a candy shop. Just when I'm really for reals sure of what I want and where to go, I see some other aspect that a lot of you folks are willing to share with the novice turner. I think Im going to stay with the small stuff, at least for the next 5 yrs. as I have a lot to learn about just the basic forms, and I'm quickly realizing that carving, airbrushing, and Godforbidsegmented stuff looms eerily in my future if I want to take the SW stuff where I "think" I want to.
    So thanks for taking the time to share this stuff. I for one appreciate it!
    Michael

Mike..............I think you would be suprised what you can make and do if you give it a whirl.........if you have a drill press and a angle grinder your on your way to making your own hollowing tools........I held off trying to make my own for quit awhile thinking I would not be able to make them........since then I have made my own D-arm hollowing rig and hollowing tools - and it works extremely well and exceeded what i expected. And I was able to build it the way I wanted and alot more stout than anything on the market.
    The materials are cheap and with everybodys help on here..........walla you have some better hollowing tools then you can buy.........give it at try

i really like to make tools. I have several that work very well. Tool making is about as much fun as turning.

Monster Rig v. D-Arm - Roger's email

Wayne........I had alot of fun making the Darm and learned alot while doing it. For hollowing larger diameter or deeper things it works very well.

To answer a email sent to me on the subject of making a hollowing tool V. buying a hollowing rig for someone just getting into making vessels- I sent a email back refering to this posting because the sender will get more out of it from others as well as my comment- im no expert but there are plenty people here that are very helpful.

However, I have to say like today - when im making vessels under say 10" give or take - my "Go-To tool" is my Monster hollowing rig. This is one tool I have never regreted owning, support is great and you can talk directly to Randy the maker of the tool - you get alot of extra things with the rig also - I can go on and on but there are others in the forum that own the rig also and you can post questions here if you like - better yet you can call Monster and talk directly with Randy if you want........as for the forum..... joining up its easy -

Thompson Tools is another great source for lathe tools
    Don Pencil is a great source for tools and buffing wheels
    Enco is a good place to get HSS or HSS with Cobolt for cutting tips

There are of course many other good vendors out there but these are a few that I would do buss with over and over.

Opinion: If anyone is just getting into hollowing the Monster hollowing rig is what I personally would advise getting - learning curve is not bad and alot of fun.

Roger - I know this is brief but your question is one that the conversation can be volumes........post your questions and join up......we will help you out ....
    Last edited by Dan Mosley; 11-03-2010 at 07:21 PM.

Dan, this has all been very helpful. I've been gathering material to make mine and I think I'm getting close to having everything. Now I just need to determine overall dimensions and start cutting and weld it all together. I'm sure I will have questions soon.

Tom
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!