Did something for myself today

Chris Hatfield

Former Member (by the member's request)
Well, my kids too.

After some heavy sanding and finish on the cutting boards, I felt like crud. Vapor, dust - not good on the body without any protection. I had been without since I decided I hated the cloth style, and this was the first bit of sanding since. Picked up a P100 3M Pro series respirator and my lungs thanked me a bunch. Such a pleasure not being able to taste dust or get a headache from the vapors

Guess it was even nicer because i got it for $10 off. I won't go without this again. Question though, how do i know when to change the filters? Scanned the instructions but didn't see it.

That would have come in handy for me yesterday. Mixed a bunch of concrete and my beard, mustache and eybrows were covered in a fine grey dust. Had a bunch go up my nose as well, and let's just say that was not pleasant.

I need to remember to weat my dust masks more often....

Good for you Chris. When it is getting difficult to breath is when it is time to change the filters. Also if you are putting the mask ( with cartridges) into a bag put some tape over the cartridge so that the dust doesn't come out and into the mask. There is nothing worse than sucking into a mask full of dust. You should clean the mask with an alcohol swab before using it every time or you could get a skin reaction or rash.

Did something for my ears yesterday as well. After I broke my previous muffs in a fit of rage (well, you can only try to make an end grain board about five times before frustration takes over), I needed some new ones. My previous ones were bought from a store that's a bit out of the way, so I popped into Harbor Freight and picked up a pair of battery powered cans for just a couple bucks more than the standard ones. Haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but I hope they work well.

I've got three pairs of my favorite safety glasses on hand, so hopefully I won't have to restock anytime soon on those.