Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Howdy from NM

Abq, NM

Howdy from NM

Bought the HF lathe last winter thinking I'd turn a few pens for something to do... Well, as many of you know.... one thing leads to another, and since I live in the SW I thought pottery forms would be fun to make.
    I've been "hanging out" with new turnning friends at another forum, and when I went to send your very own Vaughn McM. some compliments on his gallery of work at another site.... and it seems that I live within a couple of blocks of his family - and we ran around with some of the same people at different times.
    He suggested I "come on down", so I'll behave! Im here for the party; have nothing to prove to anyone except myself; teachable, and willing to learn from all of you, and share whatever I may know that might be helpful to you. I have some prior experience with furniture, and countertops but the lathe is new to me.
    I have a mini monster hollowing system, a Nova G3 chuck on order (+1) and will assist santa's helpers in bringing a Delta 46-460 down the chimney. As you can see, my shop is the garage. Lil missie says anything I can fit in is ok, but the car has to go back in at the end of the night, or weekend. Hence the small lathe.
    Also, I do belong to the NM Woodturners, and realize that I can learn more in person that all the DVDs in the world.
    Oh yeah...Im totally addicted to turning and Im shunning the cure....if there is one!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails garage_r.jpg  
    Last edited by michael james; 10-18-2010 at 02:39 AM.

GTA Ontario Canada
    Welcome to the Family Michael. Can see you hung around with Vaughn just from your Avatar Ok now spill the beans on all the things you guys got up to that Vaughn has not already told us.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    well michael we don't judge people by the company they keep, Welcome
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Abq, NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Ok now spill the beans on all the things you guys got up to that Vaughn has not already told us.

Hope you enjoy your stay.
    Thanks Rob, looks like a fun place with some serious talent!

I'm afraid if he does his homework, he'll have the goods on me - I ain't sayin nuthin!

North West Indiana
    Hello and welcome to the family Micheal. Based on your avatar, pretty skinny dude aren'tcha!?! Careful with hanging with that there Vaughn feller, he is known to get lost in that circular twist of a lathe and come out with unbelievable stuff.
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place.

Premier Bovine Scatologist

Reno NV
    hah! Welcome aboard!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Welcome to the family Michael!

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Hope you have fun here.. Share and learn.
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

North of Reno, NV...middle of the desert
    Welcome Michael. Vaughn has done some pretty neat stuff. Please share yours too (meaning lots of pics)

Portland, Oregon
    Welcome Michael! I've got the same HF lathe, for the little turning that I do it's been great. However I needed to turn a longer piece, I found on Amazon a bed extension for it, nice to know if you need to go longer and not want to buy another lathe, here's a LINK to the thread I posted about it.

Here it is on Amazon Lathe Bed Extension

It was only about $55 with shipping.

Last edited by Dan Mooney; 10-18-2010 at 04:37 AM.
    Jesus was a Woodworker