It cant get any worse today, venting

that's a good idea Allen, but even easier would be to replace it with a ball valve and run a little tubing out the window so all you have to do is crack the valve once in a while.

I find the little butterfly valves on compressors to be a pain, and a ball valve is much easiery, but you need to restrict the flow down a bit.

that's a good idea Allen, but even easier would be to replace it with a ball valve and run a little tubing out the window so all you have to do is crack the valve once in a while.

I find the little butterfly valves on compressors to be a pain, and a ball valve is much easiery, but you need to restrict the flow down a bit.

I'll second the motion on replacing the petcock with a ball valve. My last compressor had a petcock, and not only was it a hassle to reach, but when opened, it tended to spray water out the sides of the valve as much as the bottom. My current compressor has a 90º elbow coming off the bottom of the tank (I think it's 1/4" pipe thread on mine), then a long enough straight pipe to nearly reach the front of the compressor, then a ball valve with another 2" or 3" of straight pipe after that. (It's a 60 gallon upright tank.) I just hold a dirty shop towel over the end of the pipe and crack the valve open for a few seconds when I shut the compressor off. Most of the time, the towel catches everything. If it's more humid than normal, then a couple tablespoons of water will end up on the floor. A quick swipe with the towel and it's gone. If my compressor were closer to an outside wall, I'd just run a tube outside and forgo the towel.