Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Craigslist treasures..........

Craigslist treasures..........

I have been looking for a Band saw for quite a while and I could not bring myself to buy the HF model....that being said...

I went to craigslist and took a look, and what do I see?????

Grizzly tools for sale!!! Some never used!!! Priced to move!!!!! Daytona Beach!!

Needless to say...I called right away...Daytona is about 20 minutes north...and sure enough he has a 14" Grizzly Band Saw Model G1019Z. The gentleman explained to me that he wanted to get started in woodworking a few years ago, but his work never permitted it. In fact, he has never operated the saw.

Now...the million dollar question...(I cringed when I asked this)..."So how much are you looking to get for the saw?" I asked timidly. "Would you mind giving me $100 for it?"

Needless to say...I grabbed the wife by her arm, along with 2 daughters and made a bee-line for this guys house. All the while explaining to my wife what we were doing. The LOML explained to me, that since the 24th is my birthday, she will pay for it, as long as it is the saw I want.

I pulled up to the guy's garage and he opened the door.....and it looked like I had died and gone to Grizzly heaven. I looked at the saw and handed him $100...the motor could have been missing for all I cared! is where I am going to knock your socks off....and before I start, my apologies to Larry, who warned me NOT to get involved with this type of equipment.

The guy then asked me what else I wanted...I told him that this was enough of a heart attack for one day. He then proceeded to tell me that he has a Grizzly Lathe, never used, if I could use it. He took a sheet off of it, and I fainted! A Grizzly model G5979. I asked him how much.....are you ready....Another $100...and ripped a C note off of my roll and slapped it on the table! At this point my wife is telling me that my purchasing excursion has come to an we loaded them both up and away we go!

Here they are...brand new. Now, can someone tell me how to work the Lathe??

Both units work fine....and he even threw in an older scroll saw and a set of Craftsman knives for the Lathe. Wow....what a day!

Reno NV
    Are you sure that guy owned the house and tools?

I did read a story a while back where some thieves broke into someones house and started selling off tools and other house hold valuables.

Holy cow you got some good deals!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Are you sure that guy owned the house and tools?

I did read a story a while back where some thieves broke into someones house and started selling off tools and other house hold valuables.

Holy cow you got some good deals!
    Everything checked out. He even stopped by the house today to give me some parts for the Lathe that he forgot to give me!!! Wow

Plainwell, Michigan
    Sweet deals Dom and happy birthday to you

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Jessie James wore a mask, did you ?
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

new york city burbs
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Jessie James wore a mask, did you ?
    yeah, thats what I was thinking,maybe dom forget to mention he was carrying a mossberg.

I search and search cl all the time, and 99.9% of the time people think because they have something that is old and delapidated, its vintage, and is worth a small fortune.
    You really scored, congrats.

Thanks guys...I think the key was that I saw the ad right after he posted it. I think that if I waited 24hours...I would have lost out

S E Washington State
    Now that looks like a deal. Even though I'm not a Grizzly fan, I forked over $100 each for those! Even if I didn't need them.
    "We the People ......"

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Dom like the others i really think you had to had a mossberg. That lathe ain't the best out there by any meens, but it'll make a heck of a starter lathe for ya. Get some dvd's and find a club if ya can. you woun't regrate it.

Santa Claus, In
    Smokin deal on the saw. But the lathe, you got burnt. You will never get that much out of it, for scrap metal price