Craigslist treasures..........

Dom DiCara

I have been looking for a Band saw for quite a while and I could not bring myself to buy the HF model....that being said...

I went to craigslist and took a look, and what do I see?????

Grizzly tools for sale!!! Some never used!!! Priced to move!!!!! Daytona Beach!!

Needless to say...I called right away...Daytona is about 20 minutes north...and sure enough he has a 14" Grizzly Band Saw Model G1019Z. The gentleman explained to me that he wanted to get started in woodworking a few years ago, but his work never permitted it. In fact, he has never operated the saw.

Now...the million dollar question...(I cringed when I asked this)..."So how much are you looking to get for the saw?" I asked timidly. "Would you mind giving me $100 for it?"

Needless to say...I grabbed the wife by her arm, along with 2 daughters and made a bee-line for this guys house. All the while explaining to my wife what we were doing. The LOML explained to me, that since the 24th is my birthday, she will pay for it, as long as it is the saw I want.

I pulled up to the guy's garage and he opened the door.....and it looked like I had died and gone to Grizzly heaven. I looked at the saw and handed him $100...the motor could have been missing for all I cared!

Now...here is where I am going to knock your socks off....and before I start, my apologies to Larry, who warned me NOT to get involved with this type of equipment.

The guy then asked me what else I wanted...I told him that this was enough of a heart attack for one day. He then proceeded to tell me that he has a Grizzly Lathe, never used, if I could use it. He took a sheet off of it, and I fainted! A Grizzly model G5979. I asked him how much.....are you ready....Another $100...and ripped a C note off of my roll and slapped it on the table! At this point my wife is telling me that my purchasing excursion has come to an end...so we loaded them both up and away we go!

Here they are...brand new. Now, can someone tell me how to work the Lathe??:eek:

Both units work fine....and he even threw in an older scroll saw and a set of Craftsman knives for the Lathe. Wow....what a day!

Attachments

• Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 66
Are you sure that guy owned the house and tools? :eek:

I did read a story a while back where some thieves broke into someones house and started selling off tools and other house hold valuables.

Holy cow you got some good deals! :thumb::champagne::beer::drool:

Are you sure that guy owned the house and tools? :eek:

I did read a story a while back where some thieves broke into someones house and started selling off tools and other house hold valuables.

Holy cow you got some good deals! :thumb::champagne::beer::drool:

Everything checked out. He even stopped by the house today to give me some parts for the Lathe that he forgot to give me!!! Wow

Jessie James wore a mask, did you ? :D:thumb:

yeah, thats what I was thinking,maybe dom forget to mention he was carrying a mossberg.

I search and search cl all the time, and 99.9% of the time people think because they have something that is old and delapidated, its vintage, and is worth a small fortune.
You really scored, congrats.

Thanks guys...I think the key was that I saw the ad right after he posted it. I think that if I waited 24hours...I would have lost out

Sounds like a great day. Excellent haul for two bills. :thumb: As Steve B mentioned, the lathe isn't the best out there, but it's still plenty capable of making nice things, and more than enough lathe to get you hooked. :D

I swear no guns were involved guys!!!! Maybe he saw my name and thought I had some relatives that did not do nice things!?...who knows. He still has a Craftsman professional table saw with all of the extensions. Looks very new....he wants $200 for it.

I disagree on the lathe. Looks much like the HF lathe. I used the HF lathe for several years, than sold it for $150, about $30 less than what I payed for it new. Turned a lot of things on it and was a great started lathe. Don't let them discourage you.

the Lathe is going to be a HUGE learning curve. I just got back inside and wanted to throw a 2x2 on it (SPF) just to see what it would do. I tried it out with the knives he gave me....and they will not cut...just kinda chip out the wood. I am assuming that these knives have to be razor sharp.....or is it the speed I am using?...who knows.....need to read some threads on how to use it

Yep, sounds like dull turning tools. ;) Sharp tools are a must on a lathe. There's lots of good info around about sharpening. Once you get the tools sharp, the rest becomes a lot easier. If at all possible, try to hook up with a local experienced turner. That alone can save you hours and hours of frustration by shortening the learning curve.

And like Paul said, it's a fine starter lathe...better than my first one, and very capable of producing nice work.

Yep, sounds like dull turning tools. ;) Sharp tools are a must on a lathe. There's lots of good info around about sharpening. Once you get the tools sharp, the rest becomes a lot easier. If at all possible, try to hook up with a local experienced turner. That alone can save you hours and hours of frustration by shortening the learning curve.

And like Paul said, it's a fine starter lathe...better than my first one, and very capable of producing nice work.

I am researching sharpening jigs now. I never knew how dull my tools were till I saw some vids!

Hopefully I will solve the sharpening problem tomorrow morning, Allen was right...you get sucked into Lathes.....like a black hole!! But it should be a lot of fun