Backyard Mushrooms

Anyone out there any good at identifying backyard mushrooms? I've got at least 67 different varieties. After 20 years in a *cold* dry climate, I'm not used to this mild wet stuff in the Pacific Northwest.

The first one I think is a Shaggy Mane. Correct me if I'm wrong. I could only do 3 photos because it's getting dark here....Anyone know the others? Is that a morel?

mushroom2.jpg

mushroom1.jpg

mushroom3.jpg

Cynthia...I hate to say it....but they look like the ones I saw being passed around at a Kansas concert back in 1974.
But then again I could be wrong:D

Cynthia...I hate to say it....but they look like the ones I saw being passed around at a Kansas concert back in 1974.
But then again I could be wrong:D

All the ones I saw back then were dried, so I don't know what they look like in the wild. :p

Cynthia, go ahead and eat one...if you post here and it doesn't make any sense, then we'll know what kind they are. :rofl:

I used to go mushroom hunting with my dad as a kid. The Morels I remember my Grandma frying up were to die for. And that's from a little kid's tastebuds!

I'm pretty sure the 3rd one is a deathcap. At least once a year in the bay area there will be some recent immigrants from asia who see them growing in a park somewhere. They look quite similar to the mushrooms from their homeland that they pick them, eat them, and then either die or suffer horrible organ damage.

I love mushrooms, but I wouldn't pick them and eat them unless I had someone who really knew what they were confirm their heritage.

(To be clear, I know nothing about identifying mushrooms other than keeping the dogs from eating them....)

the only thing I know about mushrooms, (college in the 70s), is that Kennett Square PA was famous for supplying most of the mushrooms that were edible.
Dont know how true it is, but was told that back in college days.

Yeah, the morels I remember were big and spongy and my grandma would cut slices of them, bread them, and fry them up. A little salt and pepper and wow, they were good.

Okay, just so no one is worried: I recognize that I know ZERO about mushrooms, I'm not eating any from my yard :rofl: and I keep my dogs away from them. I am interested in identifying them if possible and photographing them. That's it. I wouldn't eat a backyard mushroom if it was the last mushroom on earth. :D

Well, then, Get out the Star wars storm trooper figures and snap away! :rofl:

Well you got me a little worried on the dogs eating them thing. I have all types of mushrooms coming up in my yard. Never even tought about the dogs eating them and to my knowledge they never have. I've lived here 30 years, no dead dogs other than due to old age and a couple lost by cars. Has anyone ever heard of dogs eating mushrooms?

Well you got me a little worried on the dogs eating them thing. I have all types of mushrooms coming up in my yard. Never even tought about the dogs eating them and to my knowledge they never have. I've lived here 30 years, no dead dogs other than due to old age and a couple lost by cars. Has anyone ever heard of dogs eating mushrooms?

There was a story in the news here a few weeks ago about a puppy eating mushrooms from the yard. They took it to the vet but it couldn't be saved.

I patrol the yard once a week or so and scoop up the mushrooms and toss them in the woods where the dogs and kids don't go.

Since I looked, there are plenty of stories about mushrooms killing dogs. Here's one story.

It never occurred to me before that the dog would eat one, but last night out of the blue, my little female drank some beer that we put out in saucers for snails (complete with slugs in it), so that's it.
scared0008.gif
Now I know she'd eat/drink ANYTHING. (And boy does she stink today).

We're on an acreage, so I can't pluck every one. But today I went out and garbaged the big ones and stomped the small ones--as many as I could find.
angry005.gif

tboandparis1-01-10b.jpg