the learning curve

michael james

This piece is the titled, "the chunk of cherry that refuses to be anything":huh:
Originally this nice piece of cherry was turned upside down from this view, as I thought the bark would come off - but NO. Not wanting to sacrifice size, I flipped it and "knew" that as a hollow form it looks like a cushman eagle tire, or vespa if you prefer.
It decided that a hand held gouge should catch and end design #1 problem (just exactly as Ellsworth said it would... going to right of the, er pointy thing in there). Semi open form, until I went through the bottom....:(
Being the tenacious type, it's sitting in a box of wood to be dealt with, and apparently it's going to get an addition. of some sort, above and below.
I thought it was just too nice a piece of wood to let go.... so until the muse strikes......
I will admit here: I have always loved symmetry to the extent of getting bad grades in art classes - so the lathe is perfect! We'll just have to see as I progress (plz oh cosmic deity of the spinny) if it becomes a trap. One of my "mentors" reminded me to have fun... grrrrrrrrrr.... which of course is what it's all bout.:rofl:
I do have some success stories and will post a couple as time goes on. I started to try to turn bowls in June. I'm a 120 day wonder!:doh:
Thanks for looking!
mj

Attachments

• mini2r.jpg
    mini2r.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 43
Bummer about going through the bottom. It happens to pretty much all of us eventually. (I've got an 18" elm bowl on my lathe right now with a bottom so thin (maybe 1/16") that the bowl is flopping around as I try to sand it. I'm still trying to figure out how to salvage it without making it look like a salvage operation. :doh: