Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Metal Roofing

Question about Metal Roofing

Planning on putting a metal roof on my shed that I'm building.

Questions for you guys that have done this (Ned, Ken).

1) Where did you get the roofing?
    2) Any tips for installing it?

I hope that you are talking about galvanized steel not copper roofing

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Brent,
    I know they have it at the Orange BORG.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Just looking for the cheapest stuff that will keep the rain out. Don't need a lot since it's just for a little ole shed...

I'll take a look next time I'm there Don. Thanks!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Brent, you can also get it in Fiberglass might be a better choice. No Maintenance.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I have a pile of it in the yard you can have. Might even have 7 or 8 bags of screws kicking around.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Just looking for the cheapest stuff that will keep the rain out. Don't need a lot since it's just for a little ole shed...

I'll take a look next time I'm there Don. Thanks!
    As a former Installation Director for Lowe's, let me throw my 2 cents out there for you.

Disadvantages:

Metal roofs generally cost a lot more than asphalt. But that is usually offset by the fact that most metal roofs last between 30 and 50 years, if it is installed correctly. Next is the noise level. When a heavy rainstorm hits, it will sound like a Marine is on your roof with an M-60 on full auto....yes they are that loud. Some people learn to live with it. Next is denting and scratches. This really becomes important when you decide to get a color roof. Most color roofs are NOT color clear through....so you see the dents and scratches. these dents and scratches need to be touched up ASAP, for obvious reasons. Next is walking on the roof....in short...you will not be doing that...ever!

Advantages:

It will probably be the last roof you ever buy for the home. It is not unusual for a properly installed metal roof to last between 30 and 50 years. Metal roofs also carry a class A fire rating that should get you a discount on your homeowners insurance. Metal roofs also go up very quickly due to their nature. Metals roofs are insect, snow, and mold resistant as well.

Now the million dollar question....would I buy one?...damn straight I would...and I did. Living on the coast almost dictates that you get one. I paid extra to get a better underlayment and I am glad I did. It is still noisy, but I will never have to worry about hails, bugs, mold etc ever again.

Hope that helps.....but remember especially with metal roofs....it is ALWAYS in the way it is installed. A metal roof that is not installed right will never last.

One last thing...I ended uo putting in 2 power attic ventilators to get rid of the extra heat in the attic after the install. And I am glad I did!

Good luck to you Brent

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    I have a pile of it in the yard you can have. Might even have 7 or 8 bags of screws kicking around.
    Heh, But the shipping would be the killer!

Ok if you want top shelf find this stuff http://www.fabral.com/product.php?id=22
    This stuff aint bad either http://www.abcmetalroofing.com/panels_imperialrib.html
    If you sheath the roof (not needed for metal roof) use this stuff between the roof deck and the metal http://store.guttersdirect.com/rotopguiiun5.html
    Get and read the installation instructions you do not know how to install it so don't even think you do until you have read the instructions. Don't second guess the instructions they are right and they are right for a reason.
    All those other other trim parts serve a purpose use them. Mastic was made for a reason that reason is to be used on your roof. Yes 2 foot on center is adequate spacing for the purlings on your new roof. No 1x's are not thick enough for purlings.
    Put your purlings on with a string so that when you drill the panels for the screws they actually hit the purlings all the way down the roof.
    No don't just stop at the borg and buy panels that are to long. They cost the same or less to have them made to fit just what you need.
    Biggest mistakes I catch driving by a new metal roof
    1 Not screwed right (says right there in the instructions how and where) most people can't read.
    2 Panels ordered too short ( can see the splice that was added on to get it under the ridge.
    3 Panels lapped backwards. They only go one way and they lap that way for a reason.
    4 No trim - no trim means the rated wind load has not been achieved.
    5 Screwed in the high rib. To date Morton is the only roof that is designed to be screwed in the high rib that I have seen.
    6 Roofing cut with a saw - never cut roofing with a saw.
    7 Saw toothed roofing install. When the ends of the panels don't line up.
    Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 10-20-2010 at 09:29 PM.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Gee, I always wanted a metal roof...because of the noise. We only get a couple of storms a year and I'd love to be able to hear every single rain drop.

I'm hoping when we replace our patio roof next year we use metal as well.