I started construction on the first Sling Shot today.
Slingshot is a new design and this is the prototype build. Sling Shot is a skin on frame 18' 6" long, 23" wide. Hull has a fair amount of rocker and V in it. Stability is on the lower side but not really low. I want to use this as a test bed for a couple of ideas I have had for a while now. I want to add a retractable skeg and I want to ad some nice looking hatches too. I have ideas on how to do these but I will just have to work out the details as I go. Once the frame is together I will probably change it some.
Here is a quick run down of what I got accomplished today.
First step is cut out all the full sized patterns and glue them on the plywood. I always save any larger scrap pieces since I build so many and can often get several parts out of scrap.
Then I like to rough cut the pieces out and then I do the final cuts on the bandsaw. There is no reason not to do them with a jigsaw, I am just more comfortable with the bandsaw so that is what I prefer.
It takes a few hours but here are all the frames cut out. Actually I see a mistake in the pile but I am not going to point it out. ;-)
Before I quit for the night I ripped my stringers to width and since I use cedar siding I plane the rough face. I end up with a 5/8" thickness. This is my old Powermatic planer at work.
I recently found some really good cedar which is very rare around here. It was 12' lengths so I cut and scarf them together to about 18' long. I normally have to cut out a lot of knots but these were small enough I didn't see any I couldn't just leave.