Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Old Car

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

New Old Car

After considerable prodding and coaxing on my part, my newly retired LOML realized a lifelong dream today and bought a '56 Chevy. I don't know much about cars, but his dad used to teach auto mechanics and he grew up taking apart and putting back together cars. I'm really happy for him. It's all he can talk about now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56chevy.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	50232

And I'm seeing some new tools in my future this holiday season.
    Last edited by Cynthia White; 10-20-2010 at 02:49 AM. Reason: fixed the smiley
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Ahhhhhhhh! Reminds me of my '55 back in the day... Gave it up for pregnancy... Herself (with my help) produced a fine son so the favorite vehicle had to go... Times were tough in the late 60s.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Had a 55 and a 57 while in High school. The 55 was a 6 cylinder with three on the tree.. Wish I had either one of em now. Also had a 50 ford with a 52 merc flathead engine, couldn't keep clutches in it. And the infamous 50(I think) packard hearse. My mom made me get rid of it, she didn't like it parked in front of the house.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Nice!

Makes me want to get the ole 46' running again...

Looks like a 210 is it?
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Nice Cynthia (and Brian)! You might introduce Brian to Chevy Talk (http://www.chevytalk.com). They cover all makes of Chevy and have a great group of guys (and gals) over there...not that there aren't folks here that could probably answer questions as well.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    Looks like a 210 is it?
    I haven't the slightest idea. He's away right now taking possession of it. I'm sure I'll have to memorize all the details when he gets back. He follows me around telling me about every nut and bolt in the thing.

Yes, I just checked and it's a Bel Air 210.
    Last edited by Cynthia White; 10-20-2010 at 04:52 AM. Reason: verified model
    AKA The Rookie

Lady, I hope you get a ton of new tools. Lets see that 56 is worth how many thousand dollars. The way I see it you are getting a whole new shop.

Enjoy it,

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Very nice ride, customized, nonstock paint and wheels for a start, but it certainly looks well done!

My mom's cousin, I guess my second cousin, has a really nice version.....

That is my dad, my two girls in me in front of his 55. He bought one just like his dad bought new, even the four door. We got a nice ride in it, the girls could not believe that there was so much space and that there were no seat belts

Very nice cars for sure!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C Bradley View Post
    Lady, I hope you get a ton of new tools. Lets see that 56 is worth how many thousand dollars. The way I see it you are getting a whole new shop.

Enjoy it,

Jim

hahhahahhhaha well I don't want to be greeeedy but the list of things that I'd love to see come down the chimney will be a little longer than usual.

I really am happy for him. He deserves it.
    Last edited by Cynthia White; 10-20-2010 at 06:14 AM. Reason: fixed smiley
    AKA The Rookie