Nova Live Center System

Rick Levine

I recently purchased a Nova Live Center System for my Delta model 46-715 lathe and discovered that the knock out rod that comes with the lathe will not remove the live center.

The hole through the headstock is too narrow to fit the required 1/2" rod that matches the hole in the end of the live center. If I try to plug the end of the live center I then can not knock out the replaceable tips for the center.

Does anyone have a solution to the problem other than returning the live center?

Attachments

• Nova1.jpg
    Nova1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Nova2.jpg
    Nova2.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Nova3.jpg
    Nova3.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Nova4.jpg
    Nova4.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 10
Me too, questions why you even mounted the live center on the headstock. :doh: As for the tailstock. Most will remove the live center, or any Morse taper tool, simply by backing the sliding holder as far as possible. (turn counter-clockwise)

So what you are saying is that the hole in your Delta lahte, is smaller than the hole in the live center?

I guess you need a thinner knock out bar.........?

Cheers!

So what you are saying is that the hole in your Delta lahte, is smaller than the hole in the live center?

I guess you need a thinner knock out bar.........?

Cheers!

That wouldn't work. It would pass through the hole in the live center and only knock out the replaceable tip.

I recently viewed Alan Lacer's DVD "Woodturning Getting Started Right" and mistakenly thought he suggested using the live center in the headstock.

I just reviewed the DVD and I stand corrected. When he was suggesting the live center he does say, albeit subtlety, to use it in the tail stock. I just missed it.

Rick, like Vaughn says, we have all been there, heck at least you were on the right track.

When I first got my C-man lathe, I asked if the pointy thing on the end of the lathe without the motor should smoke in use...... :D

Turns out I had a "Dead" center, which was VERY old school, but that is basically what Alan Lacer is using as a drive center in his videos, I used on the other day, and I like it very much.

Cheers!

Hey no problem Rick. Just pointing out what the problem seemed to be. Don't worry I won't repeat some of my stupid questions. Of course I have always lived by the old saying "the old stupid question is the one not asked." Ask away my friend and the answer shall be revealed by someone. ;) :D