DW735 modification

Drew Watson

I was fixing an RV dash yesterday and everything was put together with pocket screws. So after replacing some of the old rotten and broken wood with new and using pocket screws to re assemble it. The face was close but needed some leveling off of the wood so I had to adjust the face of the wood to get an even surface and the planer came to mind. Good idea at the time but after pushing wood through the planer I noticed scratches on the Stainless steel bed of the planer. I guess there were some pocket screw heads there were above the surface of the wood. Good Idea gone bad but it worked great. On closer examination noticed that the steel sheet had buckled. Not from pushing the wood into the planer but from side to side. I was puzzled to say the least and went to find the costs to either fix or replace the bottom bed. went on line and found one price of 158 and went to the Borg store here to get a # back east to call and then got to thinking it was buggerd anyways so what harm can I do to look at it myself. I threw the heat gun on it and pulled the stainless deck off the bed with ease as it was just glued down with a contact cement so some time in the past ( as this has been happeneing for awhile) the glue had let go and created a high spot in the middle of the bed. That is when the brain started working and I grabbed some old plastic laminate I had hanging around the shop and cut and fit it in place and glued it down. First piece through went like a dream with no pushing ( guess this was the problem all along). So if anyone else is having feed trouble with their 735 check the bed.

Attachments

• Planer fix 002.JPG
    Planer fix 002.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 118
  • Planer fix 005.JPG
    Planer fix 005.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 109
I have a steel city and the bed of it was showing some high spots. I removed the bed and put in a piece of 1/2 mdf that had 6-8 coats of poly on it. I also made it 4' long and raised the ends about 1/16" and got rid of alot of snipe.

Sounds like a great Idea Rex I just wanted to keep it the same as it was as i am planning to build an outfeed table for that and that will solve the snipe.