1st Monster attempt

Jim Burr

Ok...I know Randy would shoot me, but I had to give it a try. 3x3 walnut that was HUGE learning experience even for 10 minutes. Overall thickness was 3/16. I had to re-true the outside when I mounted it to the chuck. No finish or sanding...just practice. I'm gonna love this!! :thumb::thumb:

Attachments

• walnut1.jpg
    walnut1.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 74
  • walnut2.jpg
    walnut2.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Aside from the part where your inside diameter exceeded the outside diameter, I'd say you're off to a good start. :thumb: My favorite way of finding boundaries is to step over them once or twice.

Re-truing a piece after it's reversed isn't too uncommon. I have to do it to some extent on nearly everything. I've learned a few tricks to improve the chances of it being true when reversed, but it's still a pleasant surprise when I reverse a piece and it runs exactly true.

Jim,
Hand held, or articulatd arm? I have the mini monster hollowing system and really like the ease of not having to deal with the torque, in the shoulder areas.... Have fun with it. Oh, and thanks for posting...... :thumb:

Thanks All!!! :thumb::thumb:
Michael...same as yours...and maybe as new.
I really wanted to get a feel for the whole mess, and wow!!!..was that fun!!
Gotta use it to break it so here we go!!

Jim, there's a little laser thingy on there that if you set it properly it will indicate when you are about "break on thru to the other side"!....if you choose to turn it on!:eek:
I like your style..... we should compare turned kindling piles some time!
mj