Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok here is a stripping ? pics added

Ok here is a stripping ? pics added

I have a few shutters to refinish. They are around 200 years old and have the paint to prove it.
    The owner wants them all painted up like new and I feel they only way to go about this is by stripping off all the old paint. Then fixing the bad spots and repainting.
    So what say the wise ones of stripping? Whats going to be the best way to get them back to bare wood?
    Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 10-22-2010 at 12:25 AM.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Chuck,
    Any stripper that contains methylene chloride. I use a product called "Dads Easy Spray" it comes in either qt or gallon cans and has a spray bottle with it. You simply spray it on let it lift the old paint off and then rinse the residue with with either water or MS. Be sure and wear heavy gloves and don't get it on your skin. It may take a couple of applications because of the age depending on how thick the paint is. I by mine at true value hardware.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Chuck,
    Any stripper that contains methylene chloride. I use a product called "Dads Easy Spray" it comes in either qt or gallon cans and has a spray bottle with it. You simply spray it on let it lift the old paint off and then rinse the residue with with either water or MS. Be sure and wear heavy gloves and don't get it on your skin. It may take a couple of applications because of the age depending on how thick the paint is. I by mine at true value hardware.
    Just the man I was hopping to answer.
    Would it be better to pressure wash them or just rinse?
    Stupid hurts.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    you could pressure wash em but not necessary.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I had to strip paint off porch ballusters I had pulled off, maybe 20 yrs ago now. I found a propane torch the quickest way to remove the paint, then sand , prime and top coat. Not sure if it's a safe way, with old lead paint.
    hobby woodworking since 1972

zinsser power stripper kicks butt...

It they have so many layers as it seems I would go for the propane torch as well, those chemicals scare me more than the torch.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Could always use a heat gun and a putty knife, but I think the chemicals would be easier.

Heat Gun

Ok got some stuff that you paint on and leave until it has released all the layers. it starts off by saying 2 to 4 hours for up to so many layers of paint. And could take up to 3 or 4 days if you have 14 or more layers.
    20 bucks a quart and a quart does 2 shutters both sides. Glad I'm only doing 26 shutters instead of all 45 that he has.
    Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 10-21-2010 at 11:05 PM.
    Stupid hurts.

For your viewing pleasure
    The stuff smeared on the shutters. I scrapped a few places to see what was going on after like 4 hours. This is where it's at green.
    Pic 2 the shutters.
    Pic 3 the stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tn_norm and mug 010.JPG   tn_norm and mug 011.JPG   tn_norm and mug 013.JPG  
    Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 10-22-2010 at 12:25 AM.
    Stupid hurts.