Ok here is a stripping ? pics added

I've had good luck with the citris stripper stuff. I buy it by the gallon and apply it liberally. But what you have is OK if it works for you.

I found that If I put a layer of waxed paper over the stripper after I applied it and waited 24 hours the procedure worked better. The waxed paper holds the fumes into the paint to really soften the old layers of paint. True, there is the added cost of waxed paper but the effect is worth it.

Another option - have you considered buying new wood shutters? It sure would save you time and money all things considered.

Walter in CT

Chuck,

From my thread about stripping the door frames in our townhouse, I used Kleen Strip "StripX" gel type remover. Did a good job, available in gallons at the BORG and it was about $23.00 / gallon here in Hawaii.

HTH

Aloha, Tony

Ok test number 2 and 3
The first stuff I used well as I said it stripped paint:rolleyes:
So here is test Number 2 and 3
2 is Dad's sprayed on and covered
3 is Dad's sprayed on and bagged.
As you can see the Dad's stuff is all ready hard at work. The guy at the paint store said to spray them and let them sit until tomorrow than hose them off. We'll see :thumb:
The first stuff took a quart to cover three sides the Dad's takes a spray bottle full for each shutter. I am guessing that the bottle holds 8 oz.:dunno:

Attachments

• tn_paint strip 006.JPG
    tn_paint strip 006.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 63
  • tn_paint strip 005.JPG
    tn_paint strip 005.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 70
  • tn_paint strip 004.JPG
    tn_paint strip 004.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 70
  • tn_paint strip 003.JPG
    tn_paint strip 003.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 68
Ok i like fixing things but is this project not costing too much in toxic materials and time.

Surely by now you could have remade the shutters especially with your skill and setup.:dunno:

Ok i like fixing things but is this project not costing too much in toxic materials and time.

Surely by now you could have remade the shutters especially with your skill and setup.:dunno:

I could have made them.:thumb: I could have bought new ones.:thumb:
But neither of those would be 200+ years old like the house is:doh:
Will the house be worth more with original shutters? No not really but some purest would beg to differ on that.:rofl::rofl:
And why would one spend $2,400 on new ones when they can spend $8,000 getting the old ones fixed up good as new:thumb::dunno::dunno:

Well Don it don't just hose off. :rofl:
Also it seems that the best thing to do is spray it on give it a few and start scraping. Letting it sit covered or bagged just let it dry out and harden back up.

Ok so I tossed in the towel on this and took them to a pro.
I went over yesterday and picked up the first 4. (They will be ready in time for you to have them back up for Thanksgiving) So I was told when I dropped them off.:rofl:
So I picked up 4 out of 16 that I dropped off (The rest will be ready by the weekend)
And got started on them today. I took a bunch of pics but my pc and camera seem to be having a disagreement so maybe they'll patch things up and I can add them later:thumb:
Ok so they are talking again:thumb:
First 2 pics are what they look like when I get them back.
Third, fourth and fifth are pics of the tools used to scrap them. Third pic is my version of a card scraper.
Last pic is what it looked like after 2 hours of fussing with it.
The guy used an alcohol based stripper on them and said that they have to be neutralized with mineral sprites. How would one go about this?

Attachments

• tn_SANY2219.JPG
    tn_SANY2219.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 55
  • tn_SANY2218.JPG
    tn_SANY2218.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 56
  • tn_SANY2217.JPG
    tn_SANY2217.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 56
  • tn_SANY2216.JPG
    tn_SANY2216.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 56
  • tn_SANY2215.JPG
    tn_SANY2215.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 59
  • tn_SANY2220.JPG
    tn_SANY2220.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Have to chime in on this one....

Lead oxide (the stuff used in paint) vaporizes at around 425C.

Your standard heat gun operates around 540C. A propane torch can reach nearly 2000C.

Lead is toxic to people at all ages, not just children. Using torches, heat guns, & sanders on lead paint is dangerous.

I had to strip paint off porch ballusters I had pulled off, maybe 20 yrs ago now. I found a propane torch the quickest way to remove the paint, then sand , prime and top coat. Not sure if it's a safe way, with old lead paint.:huh:

Have to chime in on this one....

Lead oxide (the stuff used in paint) vaporizes at around 425C.

Your standard heat gun operates around 540C. A propane torch can reach nearly 2000C.

Lead is toxic to people at all ages, not just children. Using torches, heat guns, & sanders on lead paint is dangerous.
Would using a mask for spray painting protect from those fumes when using a torch or heat gun?

well i am no paint stripper chuck but i dont think i would be to eager to have that guy finish the rest of them..from what i saw in daves shop they should come out looking a whole lot cleaner than what yur showing.. talk with dave and see what the says on this..and i also agree with bob new ones would have been easier and maybe cheaper than this route..

Now that brings up yet another question.
If I cut down a 200 year old tree and make shutters out of it are they antiques?:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited: