Ok here is a stripping ? pics added

I thought you said you took them to a pro. If you still have to put in 2 hours to get them to that state then i question the pro you took em to.

Whats the big attraction to 200 year old shutters.:dunno: After what you going through you made me sure to make a note and tell the wife i aint ever buying into a heritage house.

I question the value. Remember that fancy Gamble house down Vaughns way, when they came to sell it they were not getting anywhere near the supposed valuation.

Dont envy you doing that job, hope you get all the hours back in fees when the job is done.

the owner is slightly eccentric and know what he likes :D he also has a thing for all things old and antiquated... especially Victorian era stuff which I can not fault the guy for at all since I have a tendency to be the same way...

my turn to go play scrape the shutters after lunch....

Last edited:
i agree with you on putting them up over head and gettun some good ones up to make the house look good but doesnt sound like yu convinced the boss of that huh:)

Last edited:
Chuck, 1st off I hate doing shutters !
Now for a quick sanding. I use a paint paddle and get the floor non slip paper with glue back. It's like a heavy sand paper. I attach it to the paint paddle which makes quick work of sanding them buggers. If you do need to get extra paint off get a can of stripper spray from Home Depot and use it on them areas. Wipe off and clean with Lacquer thinner. If you use water on them you will raise the grain again and have more sanding to do.
Sorry I never saw this tread till today.

Would using a mask for spray painting protect from those fumes when using a torch or heat gun?

Those paper masks don't protect against much. I'm not even sure which type of cartridge for the "bug mask" style you should use to protect against vaporized lead.

I'm going from memory here, so double check these facts before relying on them:

Masks carry a rating from NIOSH to indicate if they are (N)on protecting for oil, (R)esistant to oil, or (P)roof against oil -- there is a duty cycle associated with each based on oil particulate exposure.

The N/R/P is followed by a number indicating the % of particulates of .3 microns it filters out.

For lead vapor, I expect you'd need something beyond particulate filtering to bond with the lead & remove it.

More pics

Attachments

• tn_SANY2227.JPG
    tn_SANY2227.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 54
  • tn_SANY2228.JPG
    tn_SANY2228.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 50
  • tn_SANY2229.JPG
    tn_SANY2229.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 50
  • tn_SANY2230.JPG
    tn_SANY2230.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 54
Chuck use the product called spakle lite to fill ang gaps and missing wood. Let it harden and prime.If it scrinks just add a little more. The one looks good to go. You need to keep in mind these are old shutters and will carry some charactor with them.

I am sorry to all the historians but this is firewood to me.:rofl: I hope you getting paid by the hour for all that work chuck.

I mean saving one of Michael Angelos statues is one thing but a few wooden shutters that are still made the same way today. I cannot get emotional about spending a fortune to rescue something like that. Now if it were an old wagon and wagon wheel which is not any longer tradditional transport then i could understand. :huh::):eek:

I am sorry to all the historians but this is firewood to me.:rofl: I hope you getting paid by the hour for all that work chuck.

I mean saving one of Michael Angelos statues is one thing but a few wooden shutters that are still made the same way today. I cannot get emotional about spending a fortune to rescue something like that. Now if it were an old wagon and wagon wheel which is not any longer tradditional transport then i could understand. :huh::):eek:

Now see there Rob I toss the mike painting:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Here is one of the things that kinda gets me about these types of purest save the old house or build one that is just like the old one. They want original hardware and are willing to pay for it. They want hand blown glass windows pains and are willing to pay for it. They will pay to have shutters restored. But for some funny reason in there purest way they also want running water, heat, flush toilets, and insulation. None of which came in the house to begin with. :thumb::thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

But for some funny reason in there purest way they also want running water, heat, flush toilets, and insulation. None of which came in the house to begin with.

Chuck I did a lot of restorations of old row houses on Capital Hill in DC years ago. The money people were willing to spend to get the trim all reworked and the lathe walls repaired and plastered was crazy.

Yeah Chuck my fancy English mother would call me a Philistine for not wanting to look after them old shutters. You well, you would call me redneck in your parts.:D:rofl::rofl::thumb:

See Rob your missing the point. I could careless about the shutters being 200 years old. How ever I'm getting paid to care.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:
See Rob, pirate I can be bought:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:

There is only 3 left to get ready to sand.:thumb:
Just an FYI for anyone that is thinking about doing this. THERE IS NO SHORT CUT.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Every thing has to be done by hand, trust me I have tried to find a short cut and have found that the fastest way is to just plane do it.:rofl::rofl:
That is short of making new ones that would be faster.

All sanded, washed down with LT and the primer on one side of three.
I swear I can see this project coming to an end really I can:rofl::rofl::rofl:
All that's left is to paint them install the hardware back on them and hang them.