Google Chrome

Anybody use Chrome for their main browser? Does it cause any problems with the board?

Thinking about switching from Firefox. FF is getting too big for me.

I tried Chrome for a variety of reasons. I got rid of it for a variety of reasons as well.

No home page button

Too much typing....FF fills in the blanks better

Very little options on the browser

Just my 2 cents

I used it when it first came out and it was much faster than FF or IE, but was buggy. Guess I should give it another go to see if it's any better. It's based on the Mozilla browser, so it's mostly compatible with anything built for FF. It's also multi-threaded, so where a single webpage will crash your FF or IE, it only crashes that tab for Chrome, the rest continue to run fine.

I use IE, FF and Chrome all for different reasons. On Chrome, the home button and other point and click icons that some folks prefer are simply options you select to turn on which are not there by default. I don't have any problems with it running the forums and on one machine I use it specifically for that sort of thing. It's not like changing religion or political party, if you don't care for it, just dump it ;-)

P.s. I'm using it right now.

Last edited:
I have stuck with Firefox, even though it is a bit of a pig on memory. I need to close it every couple days or it grows over a gig.

However, I'm so used it I am loathe to leave. Furthermore, I really, really like the adblock-plus plugin, and it doesn't work on those other browsers.

(actually, I've found that adblock is actually the main culprit for sucking up memory, but it does such a good job I'm just putting up with it.)

Used if for a while and came back to Firefox.

Same here.

I have stuck with Firefox, even though it is a bit of a pig on memory. I need to close it every couple days or it grows over a gig.

However, I'm so used it I am loathe to leave. Furthermore, I really, really like the adblock-plus plugin, and it doesn't work on those other browsers.

(actually, I've found that adblock is actually the main culprit for sucking up memory, but it does such a good job I'm just putting up with it.)

Also same here, but didn't know it was Adblock eating the memory. Good info to have.

One thing I didn't like about Chrome is the <Ctrl>-U and <Ctrl>-B key combinations don't work here for underlining and bolding text.

Also same here, but didn't know it was Adblock eating the memory.

what do you adblock uses up memory? and how do you know ?

I found out that adblock was eating memory through very simple testing.
I first restarted firefox and ran it for a day and watched it's memory usage grow throughout several hours. ("Activity Monitor"; built-in tool on my mac). Then I restarted Firefox again and disabled ALL my plugins and ran it again, and the memory usage growth was significantly lower -- . l then restarted my plugins one by one (I only have 2 or 3) and watched the results.

I also did some googling and found some comments/discussions out there in internet-land that supported my findings that adblock has a noticeable impact on memory consumption.

Right now I'm just hoping that adblock will continue to be improved so that it uses less memory. Fortunately it updates automatically so I know I'm always using the latest.