Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Ornamental Lathe - Rose Engine

DIY Ornamental Lathe - Rose Engine

Our local woodworking guild sent out a link to the site below, which has plans for building your own Rose Engine using MDF.

Thought it was an interesting machine, may have to give it a "whirl" when I have time. The plans and instructions as well as some videos are at the bottom of the page under "Make Your Own Rose Engine".

http://www.ornamentalturners.org/index.php

Some examples:
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Thanks Darren that is pretty cool.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

I downloaded those plans several years ago and still haven't gotten up the nerve to try to build one. I think it would be a very fun and challenging project for sure. Not to mention the great things you could do with it.
    "We the People ......"

There was one IndyFest last month. It was really cool to watch.

They look like very cool machines, and I like the results people can get with them. But for me, I like the free-form nature of freehand cutting on a lathe. One of the things that really appeals to me about the lathe (or at least the lathe stuff I tend to do) is that there is very little (if any) measurement or math involved. Ornamental turning, on the other hand, needs to be planned and precise. Heck, if I wanted planned and precise, I'd make furniture.

I'll be looking forward to seeing pics of your ornamental lathe though, Darren.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I'll be looking forward to seeing pics of your ornamental lathe though, Darren.
    It will look suspiciously like a 4th axis on the cnc router.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I know this is an old thread, but I'm looking for help. I use to have the plans for this rose engine lathe. I kept it for years. A someday project. Today I was thinking about what I would like to be my next project if and when I finish my current attempt at an organ build. I know if I finish the organ and it works I will have the confidence to tackle building one of these rose engine lathes. But last big problem I had with my computer, I guess the plans was one of the files I lost. Anyone know where I could get them again, with out having to join another forum?
    "We the People ......"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I'm looking for help. I use to have the plans for this rose engine lathe. I kept it for years. A someday project. Today I was thinking about what I would like to be my next project if and when I finish my current attempt at an organ build. I know if I finish the organ and it works I will have the confidence to tackle building one of these rose engine lathes. But last big problem I had with my computer, I guess the plans was one of the files I lost. Anyone know where I could get them again, with out having to join another forum?
    Was it this one Paul http://ornamentalroseengine.com/rre/
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    There's this one from Jon Magill...mdf version... http://www.woodturnersofolympia.org/?p=1091
    Plans etc above his photo...
    Looks like a cool project!
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else