One more in the family

Well, it was born in September 10 and as I wasn't sure wether it was going to survive I waited until now to share the good news.

Here you see my little earth turtle, as it came out from the egg. I had the luck to see the mother laying them and I've been monitoring them since, from 4 this is the only one that arrived to a good end. The others one was rotten and the other two were broken. I think it was the mother when laying them as I protected the place inmediately so that nobody could step on them.

Attachments

• 01 turtle.jpg
    01 turtle.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 02 turtle.jpg
    02 turtle.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 03 turtle.jpg
    03 turtle.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 04 turtle.jpg
    04 turtle.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 05 turtle.jpg
    05 turtle.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 31
Really neat, Toni!

Are those an endangered species? Here in the U.S., nearly all the land-based turtles (tortoises, actually) are protected and/or endangered species.

Really neat, Toni!

Are those an endangered species? Here in the U.S., nearly all the land-based turtles (tortoises, actually) are protected and/or endangered species.

Yes they are considered endangered species, you can only buy them from a certified breeder, some years ago it was forbidden the sole possesion of them, now as there are some breeders, they can sell them provided that a percentage of the new born babies are released in nature. I'm not a breeder and I consider myself very lucky to have this one, as the mother was borrowed from a friend of mine.

that is neater than all get out. So what's you going to name it? Pumpkin? It is Halloween season.

No idea I leave it to LOML, it is her baby, she is spoiling it already, and as we don't know yet whether it is a male or female we call it September to remember when it was born, like the Earth Wind & Fire song.:D ( Althought it is not its definitive name, shell calls it "the little girl" as turtle in spanish is a female name.

Very cool. My brother keeps a couple of pet turtles for his girls in the back yard. He built a box that goes into the ground a foot or so. They feed the turtles a couple of times a week and in the winter they burrow in the ground to hibernate. They've survived the past 3 winters. The elementary school behind them even brings classes over to see them once in a while.

Very cool, Toni.

Growing up in the desert as a kid, when they weren't endangered, we got so many that came off the desert and would walk down the streets and into our yard. We had many as pet turtles (except when the dog got to them and ate their heads off :(:(:(). Maybe that is why they are endangered now :(:(

I feel sad that we never see any out in the wild anymore. Take good care of him and keep us updated on his progress :thumb::thumb:

Very cool, Toni.

Growing up in the desert as a kid, when they weren't endangered, we got so many that came off the desert and would walk down the streets and into our yard...I feel sad that we never see any out in the wild anymore...

Sharon,
If you ever get back down to SoCal, the Mojeska Canyon Wildlife Center has the absolute biggest Desert Tortoise I've ever seen. He's gotta be 2½ feet across the shell. They used to keep him inside the Center's office. Probably still do...

Very cool Toni, now i have to ask is your avatar going to change?:D Guess the dogs out of the question now:( I was just watching a couple of nights ago, a discovery documentary on the turtles down Florida way. Showed how they get caught in fishing nets. There is a facility there that rescues them.

You gotta build a pond now. Pity not the same as a chicken coop or you would have been able to copy Kens plans.