Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fall Flock

Fall Flock

I know a lot of people on here seem to enjoy my sheep so I thought you might like a picture of them I snapped the other night. My sheep free range (no fences) during the day, and every night I usher them back into a night paddock to protect them from coyotes. As I did this the other day, I took some pictures and one came out pretty good. The foliage this year is very bland due to our drought and a few gales that knocked the leaves off the trees, but it's still a cool picture of my farm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Autumn Flock.JPG  
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Very cool, Travis. Pretty looking countryside, and the sheep look fat and happy.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Beautiful.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Beautiful shot. Looks like great grazing too.
    No fences? I'm amazed.
    Five strand, 8000volt dc fence is the norm here, keeps the sheep in, dogs and coyotes out, and sure makes you mad when you brush against it

Pete if you look close in the pic you can see what I am guessing are fence posts at the edge of the field. It is a beauitful scene Travis. I love the changing colors of the fall.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Travis thanks for showing us your sheep. Picture is very cool. You a lucky man living on a spread like that. Sheep are fattening up nicely or is it all just wool? Is this the whole herd for the moment?

Grazing looks good. Do you harvest it at all?

Hey i think you gotta change your avatar to shepherd use this picture.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
    Pete if you look close in the pic you can see what I am guessing are fence posts at the edge of the field. It is a beauitful scene Travis. I love the changing colors of the fall.
    Sharp eye Drew.

There is some fence up between the hay field and the corn field, but it was used back when there was standing corn in the field and the Pony used to go in and eat the cobs. What keeps the sheep in is actually the grass itself. The other 3 sides of the field has absolutely no fence, but when the sheep can graze on this grass, they have no desire to head out into the woods. This is 3rd crop Orchard Grass/Timothy/Clover/Alfalfa mix. The first two crops were removed for dairy cow feed which is why its so lush. It was just too short to waste fuel harvesting a 3rd crop...so the sheep get it.

The sheep are in good shape. Much of what you see is wool actually, but they have been on ideal grass since May due to jockeying the sheep around the harvesting of haylage. What you see is what they have been eating all summer; nothing to tall and stemmy, and yet they are not starving either, so they put on good wool and weight all summer. They are in good condition going into winter that is for sure.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

I am impressed. Never even gave it a thought that there would be economics in the hay harvesting. Darn price of gas. Thanks Travis.
    cheers

Very neat pic, thanks for posting. Beautiful country.
    Yep, when raising critters the product you are selling is really grass. Sometimes it is processed into beef (or lamb, or whatever), sometimes it is processed into wool. Sometimes it is sold as hay. For folks who think farmers are simple, they are probably right in some ways. They focus on common sense economics and no one in the world does it better.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Couldn't have said it better Frank. Most folks just can't understand it.