Heating for the Shop Suggestions

Actually I have some steel-toed boots--do I really need to be wearing them in the shop?

I have had many times when I have dropped things on my feet and I am glad that I was wearing steel toes. 3/4 inch sheet of ply can squash toes pretty good as can sharp tool falling off the bench. It just takes that one time accident and a ride to the hospital that can change your life forever. You don't have to wear them but it is a good habit to get into.

As for the cold it doesn't get cold enough here for steel toes to be an issue with the cold.

Art, to answer your question is the garage insulated, I guess the answer is "sort of". It is drywalled, but the garage doors are not insulated. I think that longer term I will replace those doors and maybe glass in one door opening altogether.

A quick and inexpensive fix to the non insulated door is to cut and glue ridgid styrafoam insulation with pL300 to the door. It doesn't make it air tight but it does cut down on the heat loss and sound out of the door. If i remember right ( it has been a few years since i did a door) the sheets have to have the edges cut back with a razor knife to get a 30 degree angle ( or so) so when the door opens it doesn't bind on the foam from the following panel.