Friday here

Might sweep the floor in the shop. Might even get cool enough to light the wood stove. But, I do have a argument paper due Monday, a 5 page tornado paper due Monday and a big ol' algebra test coming up next week. Might just bed down with the books. Talking rain Sunday, yea right, heard that before.

Might spend a little time with the welder and the lathe whipping up some fireplace tools. Some inside work, painting, etc...

Finishing up some kitchen cabinets tonight to get painted. Having a Halloween party this weekend, so got some regular and white chili to cook up on Saturday and my wife is making apple pie (the drink, not a pie) to serve up via the margarita maker. Going to see extended family Sunday for a fall get-together as well.

Finishing up some kitchen cabinets tonight to get painted. Having a Halloween party this weekend, so got some regular and white chili to cook up on Saturday and my wife is making apple pie (the drink, not a pie) to serve up via the margarita maker. Going to see extended family Sunday for a fall get-together as well.

Never heard of white chili before :huh:

Not sure whats in the apple pie drink but it sounds pretty good.

Apple Pie The Shot
1 part Vodka
1 part Apple Cider
Whipped Cream optional

Apple Pie The Slammer
1 part Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum
1 part Apple Juice
Whipped Cream (optional)

White Bean Chili
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

Prep Time:20 minInactive Prep Time:2 hr 0 minCook Time:1 hr 45 min
Level:
Easy
Serves:
10 to 15 servings

Ingredients
1 pound dried navy beans
5 cups chicken stock
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
1 tablespoon minced garlic
3/4 cup diced onion
1 1/2 cups chopped green chiles (fresh or canned)
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, finely chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 to 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
Pinch red pepper flakes
1/2 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
Directions
Rinse beans well, cover with cool water, and soak for 2 hours. Drain. Put the beans in large pot with the chicken stock and bring to a boil over high heat.

In a saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, and chiles and saute for 5 minutes. Add chile mixture to pot with beans. Add the chicken, cumin, oregano, pepper, white pepper, red pepper flakes, and cilantro. Lower the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for approximately 1 1/2 hours. Serve with cornbread, if desired.

Last edited:

White chili is Chicken chili with Great Northern beans instead of Red or Kidney beans...good stuff. I use the McCormick white chili seasoning and some frozen seasoning mix from the store added to mine.

Here's the "pie" recipe. My wife slow boils the mix with a little pie spice and cinnamon sticks until the sticks unravel. She then adds the hooch (optional) then puts it in a plastic container to freeze. When you scoop it out, it has the look and texture of apple pie, but it's just as good in the liquid form, warm or cold.

Edit: She also uses brown sugar instead of white, and less of the apple juice (concentrate)

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that sounds like a party Darren! Gotta try the white chili this winter. I could eat chili everyday for lunch... :thumb:

Darren, when LOML and I got married, we gave the host of our party something like this for making margaritas. :D It was a big hit.

Otherwise I'm just hanging out this weekend....cooking and fixin up da shop. :D

Last edited:
Darren, when LOML and I got married, we gave the host of our party something like this for making margaritas. :D It was a big hit.

Not a bad price for one of those. We only have to make the mix once and add about 30 - 40 lbs of ice, which it grinds up in about 1 1/2 minutes to the consistency of a Sonic slushy...13 gallons worth. I built mine from some plans on the internet, don't remember from where, but several out there (like this one: http://www.michaelroebuck.com/acmetequila.html)

Apple Pie the drink. have some in the cabinet. Housed in a clear jar, from the mountainous area of Virginia. Has a pretty blue flame when lit. Saving it for the FWW deer hunt next year.

Had a quick change of plans this morning, so it looks like I'll be spending Saturday at an Arts and Crafts show in Claremont, CA with LOML. This time I'm going as a visitor, not a vendor. I've done this show a couple times and it wasn't profitable for me, but it's a huge show, so I'm looking forward to attending and being free to check out all the other vendors...something I've not been able to do when I was manning my own booth.

I've also got a couple lathe projects in progress, and hope to get some more in the mill before the end of the weekend. I'm looking at doing a show next month in Palm Springs, and could stand to have a bit more stock on hand.