Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2 Snare drums

2 Snare drums

Here is the start of 2 snare drums my drummer friend and I are doing. They are both made of cherry. Both drums are stave style. One is going to be a 10" x 6" deep "popcorn" snare, the other is going to be a 13"x3" piccolo snare. So far I only have the staves glued up. The previous drums I built I rounded the outside on the lathe and used a roller jig with the router to round the inside. These drums are too small to get the the router inside to do that. I am unfamiliar with "hollow form" turning, I'm not sure if this would fall into that category or not. Whats the best way to go about rounding the inside while keeping the wall thickness consistent?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oct16_0004.jpg   Oct16_0007.jpg   Oct16_0010.jpg   Oct16_0011.jpg   Oct16_0013.jpg  

Oct16_0014.jpg   Oct16_0016.jpg   Oct16_0019.jpg   Oct16_0018.jpg   Oct16_0031.jpg  

Assuming you've already figured out how to hold it to the lathe, smoothing the inside should be relatively straightforward. It's more like turning the inside of a straight-walled bowl than a hollow form. Depending on your lathe experience and what you're comfortable with, you could use a bowl gouge, a scraper, or even a carbide-tipped tool like the Ci1 from Easy Wood Tools. (The Ci1 would probably be my choice, but I'd be comfortable doing it with a bowl gouge, too.)

For keeping the wall thickness consistent, I think I'd just rely on calipers and careful cutting, then using 80 grit sandpaper on a sanding block or pad to get to the final dimensions. You could use a captive hollowing rig with a laser pointer arranged to indicate your wall thickness, but since you'll be able to see and feel the thickness anyway, I don't think the laser would make things any easier or more consistent.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Wow, I don't think I can help, but I can't wait to see the results.

I've been hanging on to an article about making drums for years, but have never gotten around to doing it.

I'm sure one of our resident turning experts will be around shortly...

I've never seen a drum made before.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Its going to be a few weeks till I get them on the lathe, My friend wants to see how its done so I have to wait till his schedule clears, And I just cut down 3 red oaks that need milling so I will be doing that for a little while.

Fascinating process. Staved construction keeps haunting me, but Im resisting that project for a while. Please continue posting pics of the process. I think many of us would like to see this become a musical instrument!
    Thanks,
    mj

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    I've never seen a drum made before.
    Me too so i will be following along with interest.
    cheers

Me too I need one for my new Organ and would love to make my own.
    Jay
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by michael james View Post
    Fascinating process. Staved construction keeps haunting me, but Im resisting that project for a while. Please continue posting pics of the process. I think many of us would like to see this become a musical instrument!
    Thanks,
    mj
    Have you used a different process to make drums before?
    I made 2 staved snares already, out of walnut, one was a 14"x7.5" the other was a 14"x4". When I made those I essentially made a 14"x 13" shell then cut it into 2 shells after it was glued up. I took the 14x7.5 to the local drum shop and they seemed impressed so I guess that I did something right. Right now that drum is being used in the youth building at my church.

I can't help on the turning either, but also looking forward to see the final.... can't say making a drum is on my bucket list.
    There's a young man at the Farmer's Market that I do on Saturdays that makes a cone shaped drum that's play like a bongo... his are made from staves about 30 inches long and range from about 18 down to 12 inches at the top and cone down to about 6 to 10 at the bottom. He uses some pretty exotic woods in the drums and uses goat skins for the drum heads.... they sound really good when he demos them in his booth...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.