A bit of hedgerow Ash

......You get a lot of mileage out of beading, I see. Interesting!:thumb:
I'm finding the use of beading a quick way to add texture or interest into areas that look a little bland, the beading also acts as a contrast which seems to support an area that I want to highlight.

The fact that I use beading tools means that there is absolute control of dimensions as well, something that I would find difficult to achieve freehand. I find it very difficult to achieve a specific texture with the normal texturing tools with any consistency on small pieces due to all the variables of tool approach and wood density etc. so beading is an easy option, end grain tare out permitting.

I like the form of the tea light holder with the beads. What type of beading tool is it Chas? Can you post a pic of it?

I have been having trouble deciding what shape look good is there some book that gives some advice in this area or is it just trial and error?

Another beaut Chas :clap:

I think you really pulled this one off well, the beading is interesting, but it pulls the eye upwards to the lovely patterns in the wood.

Super!:D

Drew, the Tool Steel is by Ashley Isles (UK) I handled them myself.

____Click on images for larger view.
________

Regarding Form, I'm trying to compile a list of sites that give an insite to classical forms as used in pottery and such, some examples:

Moorcroft, good browsing link

The following were Supplied by PETE.
Greek vase shapes
McHugh shapes
Poole Pottery
more Greek shapes (scroll down the page to the box with shapes in it. There are loads in there.)
native American pots

Chas, that is top notch work!! I agree the beading compliments the style you chose. It looks great! :thumb::thumb: Thanks for the information on the beading tools as well. Haven't purchased one as of yet. Could a person notch or drill a hole in a small gouge then sharpen to half of the hole and make their own?:huh::dunno:

You might manage it in Older Carbon Steel Jonathan by annealing and re-hardening but I doubt they would last for more than the occasional use as the narrow pointed wings are prone to heat exposure and CS will soon loose it's temper. I would think you would spend more cash machining/grinding and hardening than a tool costs.

Jim, I get them from IKEA, they are available from various craft outlets but tend to be somewhat more expensive than IKEA.

Attachments

• DSCN1027[1].jpg
    DSCN1027[1].jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 13
Chas any chance you could put the catelog number up for those tools from Ashley Isles. I looked them up but they dont have anything like that listed. They sure could do with changing the guy who is doing their website. Bet they would sell a whole lot more if they had a good store.

Hi Rob, I don't have any Catalogue or Pt. No's I'm afraid, I was an early adopter and just had them delivered as soon as a set was available so never saw a listing, but if you drop an E-mail to Christine I'm sure she will be only to pleased to quote you or point you to a Stockist in Canada if they have one.

christineiles@tiscali.co.uk

Best send a picture of the form you want as they have an old square section tool (like a thick parting tool) that goes under the beading tool name in their lists.

3mm (1/8in) - (handled) / (un-handled)
6mm (1/4in) - (handled) / (un-handled)
9mm (3/8in) - (handled) / (un-handled)