Stone Gate Post Advice

Hello my advisors:

LOML and I just this minute got an estimate to build stone posts for a gate.

First let me tell you what it's for. We want to put an electric gate at the front of the property. 6'6" chain link fence on either side, then 2 stone posts, and the metal gate in the middle. So the posts need to be about 7', and 28" square. they have to have in them the hinges for the gate and a conduit to hold electrical cable so we can have lights on them.

Guess how much the guy wants?

$3500 for split faced concrete block
$4500 for cultured stone

NO WAY. I told LOML NO WAY. Can I build these myself? Is this THAT complicated?

angry019.gif

:pullhair:

...Can I build these myself? Is this THAT complicated?...

Sure you can, but it'll entail a bit of work.

First a solid footing - probably 30" square and a couple feet deep. . Use 8" concrete block to make a column 24" square (It'll be hollow in the center for your electrics). Embed the hinges in the mortar joint as you build up.

Cover it with your stone veneer, and it'll end up about the 28" square that you want.

Lotta work, but depending on the cost of the stone veneer, it oughtta cost less than half what the contractor wanted.

We put cultured stone on our fireplace. It's really pretty easy to do.

They have lots of different 'models' of cultured stone. Some will require grouting inbetween the stone, and others you can achieve a 'dry stack' look that doesn't require grouting.

What Brent said regarding grouting, and yes, you'd adhere the veneer stones to the block with mortar.

For even better adhesion of veneer to block, bricklayers use small corrugated metal strips that they embed in the mortar while laying the block. The strips stick out a couple inches, and then get embedded in the mortar when the brick - or in your case, veneer stones - get laid.

One thought - I know the winters are (relatively) mild on the island, but you'll need to make sure your footer slab is below the frost line, to prevent frost heave. Local code folks ought to be able to tell you how deep you need to go. It's probably 75cm~1 meter, I'd guess.

I'm sure you could do the project yourself, but it could prove to be a back breaking job and probably wiser to contract out in the end. You may consider getting a few more quotes to see if the guy is way off base, but there is a lot of labor in that type of work.

Also contractors sometimes bid high as they are either the only ones around that do that work, or they just don't really want the job in the first place. :dunno: May find a little competition helps or you just find someone that is more willing to do the work and will do a better job in the end.

I'm considering expanding the stone entry to at our driveway as well and I'm dreading the work as I've done some stone walls and such before, it's pretty laborious work (coming from a guy that used to carry 2 full sheets of drywall at a time of several flights of stairs all day long). Like I said, it's not that you can't do it, it's a lot of work...just my .02

Sounds great . Is this the gate you come & go through each time you drive onto & off the property? If so are you willing to get out in all kinds of weather to open & close the gate? I would make it a rolling gate that is one piece & & rolls to the right or left & you can use either a garage door opener or they make an opener for this type of gate. My Dad had one with a garage door opener. If you have Questions PM me.

Actually Cynthia there is fake cultured stone availible that is flat on one side and is just glued in place with the mortor. They have it ion the colums at walmart here and the bus depot ( will try to get a pick if I am out around it today) . It looks like the real thing. We have done lots of jobs where the brickies have used it and it looks pretty simple to use. I would just form up a concrete base ( buried in the ground and colum with a conduit running up the middle for the wires and then put the fake cultured stone on. You will need to make a cage up of rebar to tie the gate anchors to and create a solid column. You don't want the concrete to break apart with the added weight of the gate swinging and you and your hubby playing on the gate. :rofl:

Here's how our fireplace turned out.

attachment.php

They actually recommend using embedding some expanded metal lathe in a scratch coat on the vertical surface first, and let that dry

Then you butter the backs of the 'stone' and apply them to the scratch coat.

It goes pretty fast.

Personally, I don't think the quotes are that out-of-line. If I understand you correctly, you're going to hang swinging gates on the posts/stone columns. With that kind of weight hanging on them, they better be properly engineered to remain functional.

Personally, I might tackle it but not without a lot of research and the fore knowledge that it's going to be a lot of work.

I made driveway gates once before and used 10' long 7"x7" railroad ties as the posts (approximately 4' were buried). To this day, I believe they're still in good order. I guess it would be possible to build a box around the posts and clad them with the veneer-type stones.

Cynthia:

Around here I see people using cast concrete wall stone sets for driveway pillars. I don't know anything about them, other that they look ok.

I don't know if they would be "structural" enough to hang a pair of gates off of them without some steel structure for the gate. Your heading into $$$ I suspect.

I used CST Versal-lock wall stones on my retaining wall. You might want to check with the wall stone mfg's for suggestions.

Anchor
CST Versalok
Grinnell

Cheers

Jim

Actually Cynthia there is fake cultured stone availible that is flat on one side and is just glued in place with the mortor. They have it ion the colums at walmart here and the bus depot ( will try to get a pick if I am out around it today) . It looks like the real thing. We have done lots of jobs where the brickies have used it and it looks pretty simple to use. I would just form up a concrete base ( buried in the ground and colum with a conduit running up the middle for the wires and then put the fake cultured stone on. You will need to make a cage up of rebar to tie the gate anchors to and create a solid column. You don't want the concrete to break apart with the added weight of the gate swinging and you and your hubby playing on the gate. :rofl:

Ok, Drew, a concrete base....do I need a form for that? then build up a center part that's concrete block with a conduit in the middle. Then need a cage of rebar....hmmmmm....:huh:....how am I gonna make a cage of rebar around the concrete block? and then bob's your uncle.

If anyone is counting, so far Darren and Peter think I should let professionals do it, Jim D., Bart, and Drew, think I could do it but it's a lot of work, Jim M. is on the fence, so to speak :rofl: and one other individual told me by PM that I'm certifiably insane. :D :D :D

So can anyone tell me how to make a rebar cage?

You'all are the best!
:highfive:

Well, Here's my 2 cents.

I like Peters idea. All you really need is to dig a deep hole and put in some big creosoted up timbers. That sounds better than digging a foundation for a huge cement pillar. You should be able to come up with a way of attaching the gate, and building a false wall around the pillar to put your cultured (or real) stone.

I like doing things sometimes just because they are hard, just to do it. Built a retaining wall once that required moving so much material by hand dolly and wheel barrow I felt like I was building a pyramid.

Don't let me talk you into it, but if it's something you feel you can do, and want to, I'd say go for it, even if folks think you are crazy. Heck, I'm pretty sure every one I know thinks I'm :crazy:

Cynthia I was telling you how I would do it. I think for something like this can be done by a novice but it is better to let the pro's do the job. Not saying that you can't do it but there is lots more involved in doing this. The size of the base and the size of the post depend on the size of the gate and all there things have to be designed and engineered. There is more to this than what you may be thinking. the cost is not too much when you take all these things into account.

Well, Here's my 2 cents.

I like Peters idea. All you really need is to dig a deep hole and put in some big creosoted up timbers. That sounds better than digging a foundation for a huge cement pillar. You should be able to come up with a way of attaching the gate, and building a false wall around the pillar to put your cultured (or real) stone.

I like doing things sometimes just because they are hard, just to do it. Built a retaining wall once that required moving so much material by hand dolly and wheel barrow I felt like I was building a pyramid.

Don't let me talk you into it, but if it's something you feel you can do, and want to, I'd say go for it, even if folks think you are crazy. Heck, I'm pretty sure every one I know thinks I'm :crazy:

Brent, I think that's a good idea too, and I had considered that. My only problem with that one is what would I use to build the false box around the timber? It seems to me that most anything other than metal or concrete is going to disintegrate over the years, the box that the cultured stone is stuck to. It won't stay stuck for long if I'm not careful....That's why I figured I better just do a poured concrete base, concrete block center, rebar, then cultured stone.

And don't worry, I don't care if people think I'm nuts. I've been hearing that my whole life.....but I get a lot of things done that those same folks said I couldn't....so I don't worry what others think.... ;)

Delighted with all the feedback...thanks guys

Cynthia I was telling you how I would do it. I think for something like this can be done by a novice but it is better to let the pro's do the job. Not saying that you can't do it but there is lots more involved in doing this. The size of the base and the size of the post depend on the size of the gate and all there things have to be designed and engineered. There is more to this than what you may be thinking. the cost is not too much when you take all these things into account.

Oh, bummer, Drew has defected to the other side. Now we're 3 say leave it to pros, 2 say I can do it (with a backache), and 1 says I'm nuts.

Listen, I know it's important that it's done properly and I plan to talk to the gate man and find out exactly what he requires, but I'm sorry....I still think it's doable. :D

On the shed I'm building, there's a porch supported by a couple of 4x4. Surrounding the 4x4 at the base will be a box of ply built to support a facade of cultured stone.

I know, overkill for a shed, but I like the look. It should work for me, since it will be 'relatively protected'.

Anywho, At home depot I know they sell 4 things.

1) Rebar
2) Rebar Bender
3) Wire.
4) Bolt Cutters

Using those 4 things, you should be able to bend up a cage made out of rebar, and then use some cheap cdx ply to make a form to pour some concret to make a pillar!

Good luck, and I can't wait to see the results!

But seriously, I wouldn't listen to me for advice on DIY stuff.

Heck, If I listened to other people, I wouldn't have ripped out the old fireplace and put in a new one in the corner.