Stone Gate Post Advice

Listen, Don, thanks for your concern. I'm totally aware of my limitations. For example, I'm never going to do woodworking as well as you. But a fake stone post? I can name that tune in 3 notes. Just need a little direction is all. In fact, I think I know a guy who would help me.......

donkey-417.jpg

Cynthia, years ago, I spent some time as an inspector watching structural masonry construction. I watched professional masons lay cinder block walls for months. So I figured I had it in the bag when I decided to repair a few loose capstones on the wall in my back yard. Man was I wrong. I couldn't get the mortar to stick where I wanted, and couldn't get it off the parts I didn't want it to stick to. I ended up fixing the wall, but it looked like a fourth-grader had done it. :p The lesson I learned was that laying block is hard.

If I were making posts for a hanging gate, I'd go with Jim's suggestion of the buried footing and rebar-reinforced cinder block core, with stone veneer on the outside. The rebar cage is actually inside the hollows of the blocks, then those cells (and preferably the others, too) are filled with grout. In essence, you dig a hole (no form really needed), and put a horizontal rebar grid at about mid-depth of the concrete. Before you pour the concrete, though, you also attach "L"-shaped pieces of rebar so the bottom of he "L" is tied to the grid in the footer, and the long part of the "L" is sticking up out of the footer. The "l" bars need to be positioned ahead of time so they will be sticking through the hollow cells of the cinder blocks. After the concrete footer is poured and hardened, you start laying the block column. On a structural block wall, we usually had vertical rebar every 2 to 4 feet, depending on the load it was going to be subjected to. I think for a gate post, I'd want one, preferably two vertical bars per side. Eight bars (2 per side) would be a bit of overkill. but rebar is cheap insurance. Then, to build the "cage" around those vertical rebars, you would place a horizontal "ring" of rebar every 18" or so as you build up courses of block. Each ring would be tied to the vertical bars, so they would also end up in the middle of the block walls. In order to have a place for the rebar ring to fit, the masons would just chip away an inch or so of the web in the middle of the block. They also make cinder block that is pre-sawn, making it easier to knock out a bit of the web. Something like this:

1006.jpg

Here's a drawing showing the concept of vertical and horizontal rebar in a wall:

giant_design_guide.gif

It's a lot of work, and even more so if you don't have the mixer and trowels and shovels and strong-backed laborers to do it. I'm sure you could do it, but I also suspect your first contractor quoted a high price simply because he doesn't want to mobilize a crew for such a small job. Try a few more contractors. You might find a laid-off solo guy who has the tools and experience to do it for less, and it's possible you can come up with a mutually beneficial price.

Oh, bummer, Drew has defected to the other side. Now we're 3 say leave it to pros, 2 say I can do it (with a backache), and 1 says I'm nuts.

Listen, I know it's important that it's done properly and I plan to talk to the gate man and find out exactly what he requires, but I'm sorry....I still think it's doable. :D

Here are some pics what I am getting at Cynthia. It can be done but forming concrete can be difficult and i have known experienced carpenters to make mistakes that end up with the form blowing open and suddenly they have gone from a colum form full of concrete to one big footing. :eek: Shovels in hand we re formed it and filled it by hand while the concrete was setting up. Not a pretty picture.

Attachments

• Earth footing.jpg
    Earth footing.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Column and footing form.jpg
    Column and footing form.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 24
Hey that's not Teke.

As far as the gate post. No doubt in my mind you can do it. I can tell by the way you "present yourself". Now don't take that wrong, I just get the feeling you would get it done even if it killed you.

Lets look at it this way. How long is it going to take you? What could you be doing with that time, more productive? If it takes, say 4 weeks. What could you do in 4 weeks that you are better at? I hope that makes a little sense. Sometimes you have to punt.

I also know this fell on deaf ears, so enjoy your project:thumb:

I'm pretty sure you can do the project yourself Cynthia. I just remember how I felt after all the stone work I did on my last place and no one should take that much ibuprofen, unless your Teke, even then it was a lot. :rofl:

If I were doing it, I'd probably go with Drew's suggestion of poured columns as well, just make sure you've got a good deep footing (for either), especially with the extra weight of solid concrete. Blocks could be a bit lighter and wouldn't require the same footer specs. His advice of getting an engineer for the plans is spot on.

:lurk:

Cynthia, I know that you can do this project yourself, I HOPE that you got boots and gloves plus the other clothes to keep concrete or cement off of your skin, a bucket or fork lift to move the heavy blocks and bags of mortar, I HOPE THAT YOU ARE ABLE TO WALK WITHOUT PAIN AFTER IT GET BUILT

yeah, and the more people tell me I can't do it, the more I dig my heels in..... :D

Pros can do it faster and better, but a lot of time they just do it faster. That is why I end up doing most things myself. The only way to know what your limitations are is to try. My experience is different than yours, but I would not hesitate to this work myself. As to how I would do it? I would pour it, but that is because of my work. I only view it as spread footer with a pier. No big deal to me. If you use Larry Merlau's tag line "If in Doubt, Build it Stout!", then you should not have a problem with blowout.