new makita compound miter saw

Dan Noren

Staff member
while the wife :blah: and i were at the big orange borg, looking at stain for an upcoming project, i decided to take a look at the miter saws (the only key tool i was missing). after getting the small (4ft) artificial christmas tree that made the wife happy :bliss:, i thought to myself :whistling:, after i drop her off at church, i can head back over to the borg and get the makita saw that i liked :highfive:. it turned out to be a pretty good idea, and i just couldn't say no to me :thumb:. now i'm the proud owner of a makita LS1016L dual slide compound miter saw :woot::highfive:. since i haven't taken it out of the box (that happens tomorrow), i have taken pics :photographer: of the box, and it's contents (as some, and i know i'm one, to say it's just a box) to prove it's not just an empty box dug out of the dumpster....

Attachments

• sliding miter saw a.JPG
    sliding miter saw a.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 46
  • sliding miter saw b.JPG
    sliding miter saw b.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 44
I have that saw!

It replaced my 20+ year old Hitachi, about six months ago, and so far I like it a lot. It's much quieter than the old Hitachi, and just as accurate - and of course it's a 10" whereas the old saw was an 8½".

You're really gonna like that saw. It's only drawback is that it's fairly heavy (at least compared to the old Hitachi) to move around, but mine now lives on a high stand in the shop - pretty much permanent.

Congratulations Dan,

That's very similar to the one I have. I don't have the laser, but I have the stand. It's a terrific saw. I'm very happy with it. That was my first major purchase. Use it in good health.

Cynthia

smhalloween1.gif

can't wait to use it too. it will be sharing bench space next the planer, and i'm sure they will be good neighbors. i'm planning on using it to make the angled cuts on the hub end of the spokes i'll be turning for the model t wheel i'm rebuilding. best part of all, it's been paid for by all the overtime i've been working lately. 8 hrs week before last, 15 hrs last week, and another 20 hrs this week....

Last edited:
nice piece of equipment.
the double track it rides on gives it great stability.
I use that saw minus the laser.
IF you never owned a slider, youre gonna say to yourself, wow, wish I got this sooner.

since i had my dad take the first cut with it yesterday, there is a sawdust pic available for the doubter in the crowd....:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• in its place.JPG
    in its place.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 26
  • some sawdust.JPG
    some sawdust.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 24
Nice looking saw Dan I have the older version at home but have used the new ones. The laser is just a guide line don't trust them for accuracy. The dust cover is my only complaint about the Makita saws. I like the new covers that are on the Dewalt saws as you can see through the slots in the edge so that you can see the work and the blade when lining it up for a cut. Right now I have to lift and hold the guard up to do the same. Other than that it is a great saw I have had mine for almost 15 yrs now ( wow it has been that long) with no major problems.

now steve, don't go insulting my new saw now, it has feelings too, ya know...:rofl:

i'm going to double check to see how close the laser comes to the actual cut. the laser can be adjusted to lay down right along side the cutting disk (technical term i just made up) of the blade. if need be, i'll adjust, but still trust the mk1 mod 0 eyball.

allen, this saw rides back and forth so smooth i cannot see where others had problems with others of this saw complaining that it rumbles a bit going back and forth. mine glides like it's on air.

i have owned sliders before allen, usually several at a time, but they never last very long. 3 bites for each, and they're gone....:rofl: