Unisaur has landed

Steve Ash

After finally selling my old Delta contractors saw, I called my friend Dave and told him I was coming for the Unisaw he had reconditioned and had for sale.

My lovely wife made the hour and a half trip with me to go pick it up and bring it home.

Near as we can tell it is a 1940's vintage. Dave put in new bearings, had the motor looked at, new pulleys....grease, lube, etc.

Couldn't wait to get it put in its permanent place and get all the outfeed tables screwed in place around it...Unifence put on....and yep, it passed the nickle test.:D

It sure cuts and feels a lot better than my contractors saw ever did...it was love at first rip.:thumb:

Attachments

• 100_3216.jpg
    100_3216.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_3213.jpg
    100_3213.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 100_3206.jpg
    100_3206.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 65
[size=+1]Sweet saw! Is it one of the ones with the induction-repulsion motors that have brushes? Just curious. Those were (are) great motors. They seem to develop about twice the HP they're rated for. Sort of a "reverse Sears effect." :D

Now you need a motor cover (The Grizz wil fit) and maybe some dust collection and you're set for life - no further table saw purchase will ever be needed![/size]

Great jumpin horny toads!!!!! You into older heavy cuttin iron there Steve. :thumb: :rofl:
Move the switch over on the left side for safety & ease of use. I hope you have the front louvered door. Yes the Grizzly box style door will fit. My saw is a 1940 & it fits mine. It sure would be nice to have the original bubble style cover though. Its kinda spendy.
I hope you enjoy your older Unisaw

I sure enjoy mine.

Attachments

• A1 myshop 043.jpg
    A1 myshop 043.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 20
  • A1 myshop 056.jpg
    A1 myshop 056.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 18
Uh, Steve? The saw's supposed to be running when you do the nickle test. :p (Hint...turn off the flash for the pic, and it'll show the blade is moving.)

Congrats on the great new (to you) tool! :thumb:

Congratulations on the "New Saw" Steve. Is that a "Steve Ash Original" mod there in the Extension table, for you to put a trash can under so the Mitre cutoffs drop directly into it?:rofl:

Great looking saw Steve, you and your kids, grand kids, will get years of use out of it! :thumb:

One thing, there seems to be a big hole in you outfeed table:eek:

;) :D

Jim Young, I knew when I posted that picture that you would have to ask that question.....I just didn't think Vaughn would beat you to it....you are slowing down Mr. Young.:D Yes it was actually running when I took the picture.

Ken...I always take pictures....they'll be coming.

Norman and Stu, I just need another piece of Melamie to finish. My contractors saw had another extension wing that the Unisaw does not have, so I need to fill in that space with either Melamie or find a cast iron wing for that hole....I like Normans creative thinking though.

Jim D. I don't know the inner workings of the motor, but I do know it is the original and that Dave had some work done on it in regards to bearings being replaced if that helps.:dunno:

And as far as the motor cover goes....Dave has a friend who is reproducing these original motor covers and I may buy one of those...or now that you guys tell me a Grizzly cover will work, I may go that route.:huh:

Bart, I don't have that louvered front door.....but I'll be looking for one.

Stu....Grandkids....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: my boys better get busy then:D ...the oldest son is very serious with the cutie he's been seeing.:dunno:

After all that work you did for a beautiful gift box and no proposal yet??? we need a slap on the back of the head smiley!

After all that work you did for a beautiful gift box and no proposal yet??? we need a slap on the back of the head smiley!

I got a feeling he'll be proposing as soon as he can afford to buy her a ring. It's not that he doesn't have a great job with good pay...but he just built a new house and is now miserly when it comes to spending for anything other than insurance, taxes, etc...you know responsibilities.

Last edited:
That is a dandy, I love the table set-up also. Just what I need....but first....build a new shop building big enough to hold.
I like Bart's set-up also. A lot of thought went into those arrangements. :thumb:

Goose egg covers and louvered doors have gone out of site. Your will be floored at what they sell for. But, I might be able to help you out on a door Steve. let me check.

Give me the serial number and I look up the date of your saw, or close. But it does look like a 40's or early 50's model though. And yes, those R/I motors are something else! I love mine.

Jeff