Lil box

Jim Burr

Hadn't done a box in a long time. This was a Walnut cut off from something :huh:. Anyway, I used the Monster to core it out...practice, practice and finished in Mylands. Inside isn't done yet. 3x1.125...and boy does it pop when you open it!!:D:D
C&C needed:eek:

Attachments

• box1.jpg
    box1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 58
  • box2.jpg
    box2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 59
Looks like a nice little box, Jim. :thumb: I haven't made many boxes, but I've yet to get one with a good pop-tight fit on the lid. C&C-wise, I think I'd prefer the curve on the sides to a bit more consistent...as it is now it looks like the middle is pretty straight. Straight sides are OK, but I like to see some type of detail (like a bead or cove) to delineate where the curve ends and where the straight part begins. Of course, those are very subjective personal preferences...other folks may completely disagree. :)

Nice box there! Walnut is in my top 5 woods...esp black walnut drenched in tung oil! Seam is clean and there doesn't appear to be a big gap between lid and box. I like the form a lot more than many of the "rounder" shapes I've seen, but that's just my preference. I'm going to be hitting you up for tips on that mini M anyday now!
mj

Looks like a nice little box, Jim. :thumb: I haven't made many boxes, but I've yet to get one with a good pop-tight fit on the lid. C&C-wise, I think I'd prefer the curve on the sides to a bit more consistent...as it is now it looks like the middle is pretty straight. Straight sides are OK, but I like to see some type of detail (like a bead or cove) to delineate where the curve ends and where the straight part begins. Of course, those are very subjective personal preferences...other folks may completely disagree. :)
Hmmm..I can see that. I'm gonna re-chuck it and try a bead on the lower body

Hmmm..I can see that. I'm gonna re-chuck it and try a bead on the lower body

Don't let my comments influence you too much. There's always some risk involved in re-chucking a piece, so only do it if you think it's worth it. You could always save this one as-is and try the bead idea on another one. ;)

I've re-chucked a few pieces, and have a pretty good success rate, but I've had a few let me down, too, and ended up having to make other "design revisions" to salvage the problems I've caused trying to re-do things.

I'd have to cast my vote with the leave as is crowd. I really like the shape the way it is. Maybe make another with the added bead so a comparison could be made....

It is a great feeling of satisfaction to get a real good fit on a lid. Part of why I love doing boxes.