Thread: Dovetail jig for large panels

Dovetail jig for large panels

Anyone have any suggestions for a jig or tool that will allow me to cut dovetails on large panels ???

I'm really looking for a jig. I'm not ready to ruin a bunch of cherry practicing making hand cut ones. I know, I know, I really need to learn and the satisfaction of making hand cut dovetails will be an epiphany but I really dont have the talent or patience.

LOML is annoyed that I'm making tons of stuff for the lids and ignoring her. She is looking for a fairly large blanket chest with drawers on the bottom. So the panels I need to cut the through dovetails on will probably be 18-20" wide.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I just checked the woodcraft site and the leigh dove tail jig will go to 24 inches but for $420 I think I'd find a differant way to do it, how about finger joints.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I have the Leigh, and like it a lot.

Porter Cable also makes a 24" DT jig. Cost is nearly the same as the Leigh, though.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I have the prazi jig, you can probably pick up one used from someone for a decent price. New it was 119 or 129.
    You can cut a board as wide as you want, but only through dovetails.

You might want to consider the Stots dovetail template master. http://www.stots.com/video.htm

It's a little different from the others, since you use the template to make your jig, and consequently can make it as wide as you like; the second video is the one that mentions dovetailing wide boards. You have some options for spacing as well.

It costs $42 without the bits. The entire detailed manual is on the website, so you can see what you'd be getting into.

It looks interesting, but I have not tried it.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...vetailjig.html

this is what I use, and I love it. I bought a set as a gift for a cabinetmaker friend and he loves it too....

edit: it's the 1st jigs shown...
    Last edited by James Edwards; 10-26-2010 at 09:56 AM.
    "Treat everyone equally,keep your word, and overlook peoples' mistakes...you'll make plenty yourself "..... spoken to me by a much wiser man than I.

Are your panels going to be solid boards or glue ups? If glue ups you could do the dovetails in 2 pieces then glue up. You would have to be careful on layout and alignment through out the process that way but could be done

Some pretty cool jigs!!

They are going to be through dovetails so the Prazi jig looks promising. I'll check CL and Ebay.

The panels are going to be glued up. Maybe I'll test my rockler jig on pine and see how well I can get them aligned after I glue it up.
    Faith, Hope & Charity