Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crab apple HF

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA

crab apple HF

This is a small Hf that i made this weekend.Just didn't like the finish, Still not real happy but it will have to do. It's blo with sanding sealer and wax and buff. It's 6x4 1/4. All c&c welcome
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 030 [800x600].JPG   032 [800x600].JPG   033 [800x600].JPG  

I like the form. Nice piece.

Really nice HF. Nice form and wood.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice clean job Steve. It all works very well
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

I think you flat-out nailed the form on this one, Steve. The wood's real pretty too, but you could have turned this out of gray wax and the form would still make it look good.

What do you not like about the finish? I'll bet it's nothing a bit of sandpaper and some more finish couldn't fix.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Great form! and very interesting wood. I've never turned crabapple so I dont know what it's like to finish. I really prefer the finish "in the wood" vs "on the wood", so I like using shellac alot, alot (smells great too) to seal the wood and tend to get finishes closes to what I like. I have seen some guys do spectacular work with spray lacquer, but it seems to get away from me on the small pieces I turn.... good job. As Vaughn pointed out, you can always go back and rehit the finish...to me thats the most rewarding part, and as a new turner...also the easiest!

The form looks excellent and as far as the finish is concerned, I am not a fan of the super gloss that is often seen, OK on dyed and painted pieces but on natural wood I prefer less of a gloss so this works for me.

pete

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohammad Madha View Post
    I like the form. Nice piece.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Really nice HF. Nice form and wood.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Nice clean job Steve. It all works very well
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I think you flat-out nailed the form on this one, Steve. The wood's real pretty too, but you could have turned this out of gray wax and the form would still make it look good.

What do you not like about the finish? I'll bet it's nothing a bit of sandpaper and some more finish couldn't fix.
    Thanks man. There are some small spots that just didn't do right. Showed them to the wife but she don't seem to see what i'm showing her. Might be i'm just getting to picky in my old age.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete MoncrieffJury View Post
    The form looks excellent and as far as the finish is concerned, I am not a fan of the super gloss that is often seen, OK on dyed and painted pieces but on natural wood I prefer less of a gloss so this works for me.

pete
    thanks, will just leave alone for now.

Quote Originally Posted by michael james View Post
    Great form! and very interesting wood. I've never turned crabapple so I dont know what it's like to finish. I really prefer the finish "in the wood" vs "on the wood", so I like using shellac alot, alot (smells great too) to seal the wood and tend to get finishes closes to what I like. I have seen some guys do spectacular work with spray lacquer, but it seems to get away from me on the small pieces I turn.... good job. As Vaughn pointed out, you can always go back and rehit the finish...to me thats the most rewarding part, and as a new turner...also the easiest!
    thanks as i normally use rattle can lacquer that might be what i'm seeing, or not seeing in this case.

To me you really put this one all together. I'd leave it finished as is and be totally happy with it. Beautiful chunk of wood and great form.
    "We the People ......"

Nice form, pretty wood. I think you got it all right.