crab apple HF

I think you flat-out nailed the form on this one, Steve. :thumb: The wood's real pretty too, but you could have turned this out of gray wax and the form would still make it look good.

What do you not like about the finish? I'll bet it's nothing a bit of sandpaper and some more finish couldn't fix.

Great form! and very interesting wood. I've never turned crabapple so I dont know what it's like to finish. I really prefer the finish "in the wood" vs "on the wood", so I like using shellac alot, alot (smells great too) to seal the wood and tend to get finishes closes to what I like. I have seen some guys do spectacular work with spray lacquer, but it seems to get away from me on the small pieces I turn.... good job. As Vaughn pointed out, you can always go back and rehit the finish...to me thats the most rewarding part, and as a new turner...also the easiest!

The form looks excellent and as far as the finish is concerned, I am not a fan of the super gloss that is often seen, OK on dyed and painted pieces but on natural wood I prefer less of a gloss so this works for me.

pete

I like the form. Nice piece.:thumb:
thanks

Really nice HF. Nice form and wood.
thanks

Nice clean job Steve. It all works very well :bliss:
thanks

I think you flat-out nailed the form on this one, Steve. :thumb: The wood's real pretty too, but you could have turned this out of gray wax and the form would still make it look good.

What do you not like about the finish? I'll bet it's nothing a bit of sandpaper and some more finish couldn't fix.
Thanks man. There are some small spots that just didn't do right. Showed them to the wife but she don't seem to see what i'm showing her.:dunno: Might be i'm just getting to picky in my old age.:D

The form looks excellent and as far as the finish is concerned, I am not a fan of the super gloss that is often seen, OK on dyed and painted pieces but on natural wood I prefer less of a gloss so this works for me.

pete
thanks, will just leave alone for now.

Great form! and very interesting wood. I've never turned crabapple so I dont know what it's like to finish. I really prefer the finish "in the wood" vs "on the wood", so I like using shellac alot, alot (smells great too) to seal the wood and tend to get finishes closes to what I like. I have seen some guys do spectacular work with spray lacquer, but it seems to get away from me on the small pieces I turn.... good job. As Vaughn pointed out, you can always go back and rehit the finish...to me thats the most rewarding part, and as a new turner...also the easiest!
thanks as i normally use rattle can lacquer that might be what i'm seeing, or not seeing in this case.

Stephen I think that's beautiful. However, if you continue to be unhappy with it, you are welcome to send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you. NOT. :D
Cynthia First off i'm glad to see ya over here where we have cookies.:rofl: thanks for the compliment.:D Now if you don't mind i go by Steve not Stephen, the only reason i put that name up was it is what is on my birth certificate.:doh: Besides as we are on the same teem here no since in being formal.;)
Steve