Shellac / glaze on pine

I built a "hay rake" table out of dimentional lumber and old pallet material (soft pine.) (I'm working on pix to add as requested in another thread. Just haven't gotten them done yet. ,:huh:, I'm told you all like to see lots of pix.) It was a project that was intended to be just for the practice of it and to see if I could do it. Lot's of M'nT joints, wedged tennons, breadboard ends, etc. Lot's of stuff I haven't attampted before. Well it's actually turned out pretty well, and I think it's a usuable table, so it may be spared from the firepit.

Now I'm wondering about a finish. I think I've read somewhere, sometime, about using shellac layered with glaze (gel stain) to add some depth and color to the finish. Anyone ever heard of that? tried that? I'm afraid of the splotching because it's cheap, soft pine. Any other suggestions?

Congrats on the build. On blotch-prone woods, many use a very thin dewaxed shellac as a sealer. This helps even out the color between the soft and hard(er) parts of some woods. I use Zinsser's "Seal Coat" which is the trade name of their clear dewaxed shellac. It is a 2lb cut out of the can so I hit that 50:50 with denatured alcohol when using it as a sealer.

As in ALL finishing scenarios, test-pieces, test-pieces, test-pieces. Take a piece of your stock and prepare the surface exactly as you have prepared the surface of your piece. Try variations of the finish you want to use. If you are diligent and record your mixtures and sequences carefully, you can predict exactly how your finish will come out.

My sequence on your material might go something like this, assuming the test board is already prepared as the actual piece:

- wipe on sealer
- wait about 20 minutes
- touch sand if required
- add colorant (stain, dye, whatever) . . . or not
- let dry
- topcoat with 2lb cut shellac
- let dry
- glaze for effect
- top coat with your choice (this will vary depending on the intended use).

Have fun.

Pictures

Finally got around to taking some pix. I still haven't put on a finish yet. I haven't come up with a good plan......

Attachments

• Hay Rake parts R.jpg
    Hay Rake parts R.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Hay Rake base 2R.jpg
    Hay Rake base 2R.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Hay Rake Brdbd ends R.jpg
    Hay Rake Brdbd ends R.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Hay Rake fastenedR.jpg
    Hay Rake fastenedR.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Hay Rake table 2R.jpg
    Hay Rake table 2R.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 39
another vote on a great design and great looks..i wouldnt darken it to much. its looks real good with aged looking top just bring the legs into match the top in color..

Thanks everyone. I had to do much more hand tool work for the joints on this table than I'm used to, but it seems to have worked out. It took longer to build than I planned for and now I'm running into the Minnesota weather restrictions of not having a heated shop. 28 degrees this morning. The finish might have to wait till it warms up again....

Don- the table top is 27 x 44 and 17" high. That's all I could get out of the planks I had for the top.

Great site- I look forward to browsing some more.