Rainy weekend turnings

Curt Fuller

It was pretty wet and soggy this weekend so I spent it turning. First pic is a small (6" end to end) Osage Orange crotchwood bowl. Hardest wood I think I've ever worked with but amazing colors. Second is a Silver Maple burl hollow form, 5 1/2" wide by 5" tall. Pretty nice burl but luckily the picture doesn't show the inside of my hollowing butcher job.

Attachments

• osage orange 2.JPG
    osage orange 2.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 41
  • silver maple burl hf 3.jpg
    silver maple burl hf 3.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 44
I somehow missed these, Curt. Looks like you put the bad weather to good use. The HF is bizarre (in a good way)...looks like it's still in growing into its skin on the "natural" side. (Or withering away from it.) Cool work. :thumb:

Incredible work Curt.
One thing I particularly like about each of those pieces is that you have not only revealed the inner beauty of the wood by tooling it, but have also left some of the exterior surfaces untooled. “Uncarved block” comes to mind here.

Thanks everyone.

Alex, the walls on the HF are probably about 3/8"+. I'm no hollower and the inside ain't pretty.

Vaughn your comment about "withering away" is really pretty close to what it is. It was turned sloppy wet, slinging water. Then I used a heat gun while it was spinning to dry the surface enough to sand it smooth. After that I started microwaving it a minute at a time for about 20 minutes and that made the bark start shrinking away from the wood where the natural edge is. Then I just picked at it with a dentists pick to get the bark off. As for the shape, it reminded me of the erosion you see in the desert canyons of S. Utah.