Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my apologies

my apologies

When I first joined FW (and the previous forum) is grumbled mightily about the frequent use of acronyms and shop terms. Overuse made much of what was posted a foreign language to the uninitiated.
    But, in recent months I have been considering taking up fly fishing as a possible substitute for my life-long shooting of traditional muzzle loading rifles.
    To help prepare and learn, I joined a fly fishing forum. Acronyms? Strange terms? That is all they use. The forum provides zero helpfulness. It IS a foreign language.
    I have acquired a low end rod and reel and a few accessories. Now, I have to decide if/how to buy some good waders and boots. Both expensive, as is everything in this game. Oh, well.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

giving up muzzle loader, [what a bag of beans] I can not help with brand name for the waders but I would buy chest waders and also buy a walking stick for the use of stepping into a hole in the water

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    giving up muzzle loader, [what a bag of beans] I can not help with brand name for the waders but I would buy chest waders and also buy a walking stick for the use of stepping into a hole in the water
    Giving up muzzle loading may be forced on me if my recent shoulder surgery does not produce the desired results.
    Yes, I have walking sticks and make some. But how many hands does it take to fly fish?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    But how many hands does it take to fly fish?
    Generally 1 more than you have, especially when trying to tie on a new fly in the middle of the river...

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Generally 1 more than you have, especially when trying to tie on a new fly in the middle of the river...
    so true...
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

you can fly fish with only one hand from a boat or the bank but wading take 4 hands sometime [at least for me ]

You should get an acronym dictionary together with all the gear
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Worst day fishing beats the best day at work........almost.

I love it. I cast right handed and after a full day fly fishing, my right shoulder sure is sore.

Try this place for info, no jargon that I see, just good advice.

http://flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/
    Last edited by Barry Stratton; 10-27-2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Doh. added link!
    Every child deserves a family. Adopt. Foster. Get involved.

For what it's worth, I fly fish both one and two handed rods (AKA spay rods). Walking sticks are used to aid in either wad fishing or crossing in rivers. Personally I've never used one for precisely the concern you expressed, I've got enough gear to manage that another item isn't going to help things.

As far as waders go, depending upon the time of the year you fish, they may not be absolutely necessary. In my region (Pacific Northwest) during the months of June, July and August I seldom wear them. I would think in your part of the country you might be able to add May and September to the list. Boots, or at least felt bottomed shoes, are very helpful and probably a good safety item regardless the time of year.

Fly fishing is a wonderful thing and I highly encourage you to stick with it. Nothing beats catching a fish on a dry fly with a light weight rod.
    Last edited by Peter Lyon; 10-28-2010 at 02:02 AM.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lyon View Post
    Fly fishing is a wonderful thing and I highly encourage you to stick with it. Nothing beats catching a fish on a dry fly with a light weight rod.
    Amen to that.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward