Hollowing Mistake

Dan Mosley

I have a few days off and wanted to get a couple things done in the garage and decided to first turn some wood that a relative brought me from oregon (Alder and Mrytle) - never turned either before. So, i put one of the pc in the chuck and turned it and hollowed it. However, because I left the foot with a rough diameter more than usual I had to turn it down last to its final diameter. So, I used the laser to determine the thickness at that depth in the vessel and it appeared to be ok with plenty of thickness. I gently trimmed away the rough part of the foot. Still there was a bump in the wood at the very bottom so I decided to sand the bump down to the final form.................Guess who didn't the thickness that he thought he had to sand that bump out??

See Pictures 1-5

So there went 1/2 the day - so i decided to cut up some burl and root wood I had. The pc in the pictures (6-7) shows a burl pc that someone gave me that has been sitting around I just never got around to prep'ing it. It has a chain saw cut in it so I had to cut it down the middle - then just cut them round and set them to the side.......they are totally dried out but should make a interesting pc. Ill probably try one of them today and post pic
this evening.................................

Attachments

• P1010030.jpg
    P1010030.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Burl-1.jpg
    Burl-1.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Burl.jpg
    Burl.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 58
  • P1010037.jpg
    P1010037.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 64
  • P1010036.jpg
    P1010036.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 63
  • P1010034.jpg
    P1010034.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 54
  • P1010032.jpg
    P1010032.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 56
Bummer Dan. I learned a long time ago to measure, measure, and measure some more. Did the same thing a couple of times.:bang: Really is a bummer when I spent a half a day get things just right to have the happen.:mad:

Today was better this one did not bust up on me.............see pictures below..............

I was only turning at 250rpm for sanding when the other one came apart.............this one i made sure I did the tenon right and sanded so far to 400 grit....................

Attachments

• Vessel-1.jpg
    Vessel-1.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Vessel-2.jpg
    Vessel-2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Vessel-3.jpg
    Vessel-3.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 14
Dan, that looks like a typical day of turning for me lately. Went through the bottom of one bowl and two others went flying after catches on the inside wall. I'm going back to turning pens and bottle stoppers, maybe I can do those right.

[/QUOTE]I'm going back to turning pens and bottle stoppers, maybe I can do those right.[/QUOTE]
:rofl::rofl::rofl: I know the feeling Chuck...my learning curve took a U-turn at Albuquerque :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm going back to turning pens and bottle stoppers, maybe I can do those right.[/QUOTE]
:rofl::rofl::rofl: I know the feeling Chuck...my learning curve took a U-turn at Albuquerque :rofl::rofl::rofl:[/QUOTE]

Well I tried to turn a coupla bird houses and set them flying. I guess I'm out of practice.

Losing one like that really hurts. Try something else and then go back to the hollowing. I think that we all have had some failures, but always try to learn from the mistakes. Like Bernie says, measurse, measure, and then again and keep doing it. Good luck on the next one.

I don't see the problem a bit of touch up and some sanding and that tea light candle holder will be just fine.:thumb::thumb::doh:

Well I can say im sure it was from not paying attention to the form near the bottom prior to hollowing. There was a hump in the bottom part and I decided that i can take it down later - which I did successfully later on but didnt realize how thin it had gotton after fixing it. Then noticing there was still a very small amount of the hump left I decided to sand it down with 80grit - Then,..... "Ka-Thunk" - and off it came from the sanding.

So in retrospect - 1). I should have finished the bottom where the tenon blends into the waste part better than I did - meaning finishing that part totally. Going back after hollowing and then trying to reshape was not a good idea.
2). Inside the vessel - I should have left the bottom and the transition point from the very bottom of the vessel a bit thicker instead of trying to turn so thin - however, this is a area where I need to measure more and more because I always think that the laser set to the side of the tip will cut it perfectly - which it will not and should be readjusted for the transition (curve) to the bottom. The proof is inspecting it after it came apart and noticing that it will cut much thinner if you do not even with the laser telling you that your still ok.........you simply are not
ahhhhhhhhhh well.................